turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Moister content

Started by MarkJM, March 28, 2011, 11:01:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkJM

Hey guys, I was wondering how low the moister content in a 4x4x2 (your basic pot blank) has to be to turn without warping? I have many walnut blanks i cut two years ago. I am wondering if they are dry enough.
MuellerCustomCalls

Cut*N*Run

I shoot for the single digits, but I tend to buy more of my wood dried.

When I have used "found wood" my best luck has come from drying it in the microwave- as long as it survives drying in the microwave.

MarkJM

Quote from: Cut*N*Run on March 28, 2011, 03:24:18 PM
I shoot for the single digits, but I tend to buy more of my wood dried.

When I have used "found wood" my best luck has come from drying it in the microwave- as long as it survives drying in the microwave.

never heard of drying it that way, is it ready to use when you pul it out?
MuellerCustomCalls

Cut*N*Run

Needs a few days for all of the wood to reach an equilibrium. If you google up the topic, you'll find some great write ups on it.

Basically, I just wait for a day when my wife is out, put the blank in a zip-lock, microwave it on 50% until the bag starts to inflate from the steam, pull the blank out and wrap it in paper towels, let it sit for 30 min or so, and then repeat until it's dry. Make sure the bags and towels are dry.

It works pretty good. If you leave it in the microwave for even seconds too long you'll toast the blank though so babysit the thing.

lightsoutcalls

I can hear it now... "honey, what's that smell?  Have you been eating taco bell again?"   ;D

I have heard 8-10% for moisture content being best.  I don't have a moisture meter and likely let mine sit longer than needed.  I hate turning wood and feeling the moisture/humidity in the air coming off of a spinning pot as I turn it...  I have done that with amboyna burl that was supposed to be "dry".  With that particular wood I have never had a problem with checking/cracking. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

TarheelTurk

I was wondering about the moisture content also so this is an awesome thread full of helpful info. Thanks for askin Mark. I have a spare microwave and may giv ethis a try on some old wood i've aquired from an old barn and or some standing dead wood i recently cut into blanks. How much are moiture meters ? think i read around $40 Great thread & THANKS to everyone
Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL

TarheelTurk

Grandads Advice : "Sometimes its better to be quit and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubts" LOL