OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey shoots

Started by the Ward, March 28, 2011, 09:51:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

Does any one go to  turkey shoots?The boy and i went to one sunday after noon.Took his nef 12g partner with reddot and truglow .665 and my vinci with stock full choke plain bead sites.We get there and my son finds out his battery is dead!Lol so much for a scout always being prepared!Any way we both shot the vinci,targets were at 33 yards and we shot win aa 9 shot.I didn't think we had a chance as they had a huge turnout [was last spring shoot for year]and lots of aftermarket chokes and sights.Well we won twice and it paid for the trip!I was really suprized!when we got home i measured the stock full and it came out at .683.Can,t wait to get my hands on some aftermarket chokes to play with!I told myself i was buying this gun for wingshooting only but now.....Those crio + really do live up to the hype.Good luck and good hunting!....ward

BrowningGuy88

I go to most of the shoots in my area to cook for them. I am going to start shooting in them next year after I get set up for reloading.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: the Ward on March 28, 2011, 09:51:01 AM
Does any one go to  turkey shoots?The boy and i went to one sunday after noon.Took his nef 12g partner with reddot and truglow .665 and my vinci with stock full choke plain bead sites.We get there and my son finds out his battery is dead!Lol so much for a scout always being prepared!Any way we both shot the vinci,targets were at 33 yards and we shot win aa 9 shot.I didn't think we had a chance as they had a huge turnout [was last spring shoot for year]and lots of aftermarket chokes and sights.Well we won twice and it paid for the trip!I was really suprized!when we got home i measured the stock full and it came out at .683.Can,t wait to get my hands on some aftermarket chokes to play with!I told myself i was buying this gun for wingshooting only but now.....Those crio + really do live up to the hype.Good luck and good hunting!....ward

First of all, congratulations! I really enjoy those shoots as well. There are always a lot of good folks at the shoots I attend. We had 42 shooters at one last week and about 30 yesterday. I was  too late to shoot but had a good time just "visiting" with some friends.

We shoot chokes that are no tighter than .675 and only use open sights. I shoot a stock gun, a Benelli SBE with a 26" barrel but guns can be custom and have barrels up to 36". We also shoot #9s at boards.

At our shoots, if you win a squad, you usually get your entry fees back, so anything after that you've won money. That makes it even more fun.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

bowhunter84

the Ward

Thanks Gentlemen!I started going so my son could shoot and have some fun,in the process we both got hooked!Great place to introduce youngsters to shooting and saftey.The local club really welcomes youngsters and has a special youth shoot each week for the kids in between the regular shoot.They would put red stars on the back and any one who got bbs in them got tickets to put in for the end of a year drawing for a youth shotgun.they would give the kid who won that week some money.Sadly,due to the economy,they stopped the gun giveaway a couple years ago.You should have seen the excitment on the kids face when they won!Priceless!Now that im back to work myself,i've been putting away a few bucks here and there so i can donate a gun for a giveaway this year,so i hope we can resume the tradition again.We need these youngsters for the future of our sport and we need them to grow up in a positive enviroment,with all the morally corrupt stuff that gets thrown at them every waking minute! ....ward

SumToy

Get me the rules we have to work with. What shell what distance.  We work you a custom set up for that.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

neal

Ok I'm form way up North so I have herd of turkey shoots but what is it exactly?

Sorry for the dumb question. ;D
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

SumToy

They just shoot paper targets. The name came from way back when. LoL. It is called card shoot,board shoot,turkey shoot some call it target shoot.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

the Ward

Hey there Sumtoy,the ones we go to are all between 30 and 33 yards.They have choke constriction rules of .680.We shoot 9 shot of various brands,usually whatever the club gets the best deals on.Last year it was winchesters and federals.Low brass target loads.Choke rules are sometimes SELECTIVLY enforeced,if you get my drift!Anyhow,i usually use my browning bps with the inv+ but have been taking the vinci lately with the stock crio + full.Interested with your suggestion,Will get some more info for you and maybe we can talk some business.I know some other guys shooting bella's that might be interested too.In response to Neals question,most turkey shoots involve shooting offhand at a small bullseye target,bb closest to center wins either money or turkeys,hams, or or other prizes.Being you can't aim a single bb you need to have a dense pattern to increase your chances,just like turkey hunting.Well i gotta go get ready for work now,afternoon turn stinks!Sumtoy, i'll check back tonight when i get home for any info you might have......good luck and good hunting!...ward

the Ward

P.S Neal,there is no such thing as a dumb question!Hope i was of  some help!...ward

the Ward

The .680 rule is at most clubs.The one we were at had a xtra full rule hence my sons .665.Just wanted to clarify that.I certainly don't condone cheating!Some clubs have this sort of rule,as long as you don't start winning  every round and its a field gun,its o.k.If you start crushing every one round after round,they'll just ask you not bring it back.See what i mean by selective?Thats why lots of clubs have a constiction rule.It's fair for everybody and easily followed.Plus the .680 rule lets lots of cool older pre choke tube guns compete!I know this is a turkey HUNTING forum so i don't want to use up everyones time on this stuff.O.k,now im really late!!!L.o.l. thanks...ward

allaboutshooting

Quote from: neal on March 28, 2011, 11:56:42 AM
Ok I'm form way up North so I have herd of turkey shoots but what is it exactly?

Sorry for the dumb question. ;D

Hey Neal,

These shoots differ from one area to another. Most shoots here now are at boards rather than paper targets. The board is a piece of pine, maybe an inch thick and 4 inches square. You cut a a "+" anywhere on that board you'd like and then draw a circle around it. Most shoots here are at 58 feet from the shooting window to the target. Many clubs here have a scorer who uses a lighted magnifying glass to determine which pellet is closest to the +. Normally you must cut all four corners of the + to be a winner.

Some more clubs have much more sophisticated scoring equipment and use a computer program to scan the boards and determine the winner.

Some clubs also use paper targets but the rules are the same. In order to win one of those, you must normally blow out the entire center of the target, including the + to win. Or, you may just have a lucky shot that lands exactly where it needs to land.

Lastly, some of these shoots are combination shooting events where there are prizes, like meat, etc. and cash. Most in this area seem to be strictly cash now.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

dpowers311

I have won a couple of ham's at turkey shoots in the past. I was shooting a 16 gauge mossberg that my dad gave me. I ended up winning against the "family that never lost". They tried to buy the gun from me but I would not sell it.

Dave

hookedspur

DEAD BATTERIES . I like the red dots but I have had that happen to me thats why I went to scopes or iron sights on all but one.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

SumToy

Ward with that set of rules I would go with the Browning.   That is the best set up for the stock 675and bigger choke rule.   Now if you can go small choke the other gun would do good.  Big thing is to look at some of the guns at the shoot.  We do a built stock barrel for them shoots.  We also do a complete new barrel with custom chamber and bore then turn down the 7/8's.  So them shoots you have to figure what you shooting with and how much $$$$ you want to put in.   

Now as for the 16ga we have put a matched chamber and custom chokes in them that will make folk look at it funny.