OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rem 870SM and SumToy #s Review

Started by wisconsinteacher, March 28, 2011, 08:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Well I finally shot my 870SM with 3.5s yesterday.  Before I get to the #s I must say the Knoxx stock is worth the $.  I shot 4 shots and other than the noise, all you get is some muzzle lift.  I added a LimbSaver to the Knoxx and the cheek kit to raise your head.  No cheek slap and no sore shoulder.  The Mueller sight still is holding zero also.  Now for the #s.

40 yards measured with range finder
23 degrees
2.25 oz H-13 #7
SumToy Chokes

.660" = 215 hits   .665" = 197 hits   .670" = 211 hits
I am very happy with my set up and the results.  I think this dog will hunt.  I also shot a 3" #6 H-13 at 40 and got 151 hits with the .670".  I am going to keep that choke in the gun.  The patterns were very even also.  I know I sound like a TV add, but maybe someone is looking at these products and I can help them.

neal

Sounds like a winner to me! I'm sure your like I am ready to shoot it when it a little warmer out I know 27 degrees yesterday wasn't ideal but you've got to be happier than a pig in slop with those #'s!
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

wisconsinteacher

Those are this years Hevi-Shot and I polished the barrel using a different method.  I used the same technique as posted above but with WD-40 and Number 7 compound.  I ran 6 patches in the barrel each one up and down 50 times.  Next year, I plan to use the posted products.  I did not clean between shots also. 

I am very happy with the #s.  I was hoping for 180-200 and did better than that.  The cool part was that my shot was centered right where the red dot was pointed.  I used trap loads at 25 yards to sight in.

SumToy

Glad they worked out the way you needed. Now like I said in the past I am doing test every day to find what yall need.  How much does the cold damp air play into how the turkey loads pattern. I know with the target guns they drop off big time.  I am always look to make things better is why I ask. Feed back from yall helps me figure what we need to work on. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

wisconsinteacher

Right now the only think that needs to be worked on is getting a bird in front of the gun and some more ammo to play with.  I showed some of the guys at the club the patterns and they liked them.

R AJ

Temperature, humidity and elevation all seem to make a difference,with temp and humidity being most important factors.

His numbers at that temperature means good numbers for the Sumtoy chokes later on. It is nice to know that your company is interested in improving on what it has for now. The bad news is that we never know when or what the shell mfgrs. are doing next. I am tired of the "shell games " personally.

Gold Spur

Quote from: RAJ on March 28, 2011, 01:01:29 PM
Temperature, humidity and elevation all seem to make a difference,with temp and humidity being most important factors.

His numbers at that temperature means good numbers for the Sumtoy chokes later on. It is nice to know that your company is interested in improving on what it has for now. The bad news is that we never know when or what the shell mfgrs. are doing next. I am tired of the "shell games " personally.

X2!!!!!
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

SKFOOTER

Get your self a Jellyhead .660 and watch those pellet numbers approach 300. :z-guntootsmiley:

Gobble!

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 28, 2011, 01:09:46 PM
Get your self a Jellyhead .660 and watch those pellet numbers approach 300. :z-guntootsmiley:

With this years shells thats doubtful

Gobble!

Sumtoy,

Last year using the 3.5" #7s, barrel and choke were both cleaned prior to shooting

30 degrees 250 in a 10" circle
65 degrees 325 in a 10" circle

ILIKEHEVI-13

I shot some 300 plus patterns.  One of them was in 45 degree weather.  But I can say as good as my 835 shoots with 3.5" Hevi-13 #7 loads, I doubt it would avg 300 shot in a 10" at 40yds day in and day out.  I have yet to find a gun that would shoot Hevi-13 loads and avg 300 shot consistently from shot to shot and day to day.  I can't see one choke being the answer either regardless of the exit diameter or if it says Jelly Head .660 on it.

I have seen a temperature increase of just 12 degrees improve patterns by about 20 to 30 plus shot(10" circle) in shooting on a 72 degree day vs a 60 degree day .  Now that was just one shot, but it did occur.  But I would only speculate that a 80 degree day would improve patterns even more.  

ILIKEHEVI-13

Now getting back to the thread at hand, those aren't bad numbers at all for that cold of temp.  That is very cold weather there to pattern in. 

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Gobble! on March 28, 2011, 01:44:17 PM

Then he can find some of last year's loads!!

Gobble!

Quote from: SKFOOTER on March 28, 2011, 04:20:11 PM
Quote from: Gobble! on March 28, 2011, 01:44:17 PM

Then he can find some of last year's loads!!

let me know where you find them i will gladly buy all they have

SKFOOTER

I can't tell ya that,m Gobble.  I gotta keep some handy for my self.