OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Glass v Aluminum v Copper

Started by Big Guy, July 21, 2015, 03:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Guy

This isn't a contest on which you like best, rather I am more curious on how each sound.  Is one higher pitched or raspier than the others?  Louder? etc.  I only have a slates and a crystal and rather than buy another was wondering if a different surface would be better.  Thanks to all you experts out there.

Bowguy

I absolutely love the Atomic 13. It's a great call In Aluminum. I don't run copper much but Brad Roberts copper has me very interested. The Crystal or Aluminum can crank if you need them. It'll depend on striker, call n how you play it to get more or less raspiness.. To me copper seems typically higher pitched, crystal may just "ping" your ear the most. Others may have different opinions. Also wood type for pot matters. Aluminum very often gets em to gobble when others can't..

scoot12

Depending on what wood is used glass could be higher pitched then aluminum or copper or vice versa.  It all depends on what wood is used.  Another variable is the what the striker is made out of,  that makes a huge difference on pitch of the call.  As far as how a glass call sounds,  in my opinion it might be a little less raspy then a crystal call but not much.  A glass and crystal sound pretty close usually.  An aluminum call sounds a lot like a glass call but it can get louder but can be toned downed nicely also.   Maybe you could compare the sound to a glass call on steroids.  A copper call has some great rasp all the way through the yelp.  The ones that I haved owned have a great soft raspy yelp to them.  I don't know if this helps.   If I where you and you don't own yourself a great aluminum call,  I would add one to your arsenal.

Big Guy

That's what got me interested was looking at the Brad Roberts website.  Everyone raves about the glass poplar, but his aluminum and copper are probably pretty good too!  Too many choices!

Bowguy

Ask some makers you're interested in to send soundfiles.

Big Guy

Quote from: scoot12 on July 21, 2015, 05:08:21 PM
Depending on what wood is used glass could be higher pitched then aluminum or copper or vice versa.  It all depends on what wood is used.  Another variable is the what the striker is made out of,  that makes a huge difference on pitch of the call.  As far as how a glass call sounds,  in my opinion it might be a little less raspy then a crystal call but not much.  A glass and crystal sound pretty close usually.  An aluminum call sounds a lot like a glass call but it can get louder but can be toned downed nicely also.   Maybe you could compare the sound to a glass call on steroids.  A copper call has some great rasp all the way through the yelp.  The ones that I haved owned have a great soft raspy yelp to them.  I don't know if this helps.   If I where you and you don't own yourself a great aluminum call,  I would add one to your arsenal.

Thanks scoot that definitely helps.  I think you narrowed it down to Brad Roberts aluminum or copper for me.

scoot12

awesome,  I will name a few other aluminum calls that are really good in my opinion.  The atomic 13 by Jimmy Schaffer,  Mark Cornelius builds a fine aluminum call.  Paul Platz cherry aluminum is great as well. 

Big Guy

I was thinking about Paul Platz, but 1.5 years wait time isn't worth any call in my opinion.  Order is in for the Brad Roberts Bocote aluminum.  Haven't heard a bad thing about his calls yet so I'm sure this will be great as well!

WV Ridge Reaper

I have a Platz aluminum...But I carry my houndstooth aluminum,it will run circles around the best of em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk