Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

where do you put that bead on the turkey when ya shoot?

Started by Lon0121, March 27, 2011, 11:18:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lon0121

i heard mid neck, low neck, head, where the feathers meet the skin on neck etc.

it will probably vary for alot on here with hold overs.
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

knightrider

SR1

I hold mid-neck because of the way my gun patterns. The shot is very even high,low,left,right when I hold there but every gun is different. If your gun shoots high you want to hold at the feather line. This works for guns with fixed sights or a plain bead.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

ericjames

Quote from: SR1 on March 27, 2011, 11:40:12 PM
I hold mid-neck because of the way my gun patterns. The shot is very even high,low,left,right when I hold there but every gun is different. If your gun shoots high you want to hold at the feather line. This works for guns with fixed sights or a plain bead.
:agreed:

dawei

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

natman

I put the front sight on the middle of the neck. The head gets the top of the pattern, the mid neck the center and the lower neck the bottom. Plenty for everyone!

If your turkey gun doesn't shoot to point of aim, get some sights and adjust them so it does.

ILIKEHEVI-13

hookedspur

Quote from: natman on March 28, 2011, 03:55:36 AM
I put the front sight on the middle of the neck. The head gets the top of the pattern, the mid neck the center and the lower neck the bottom. Plenty for everyone!

If your turkey gun doesn't shoot to point of aim, get some sights and adjust them so it does.
:agreed: :icon_thumright:
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

whiskey

I set my sights up with more group high than low. I aim at the waddles. Now this only works when he has his head up. If he sticks it out to gobble I have to adjust my aim point. It works for me.

joey46

Base of the neck.  Lower than the spot marked on a typical turkey target.  Takes care of a split second head bob or me being stupid and lifting my head which causes a shot to pull a little high.

sugarray

I aim mid to low neck.  This gets the most out of my pattern covering the head and neck entirely.

BrowningGuy88

With my 20, I hold at the waddles. With my Win 1300 and Nitro 4X5X7's I hold top of the head cause the shoot about 6" low at 40. With the 1300 and lead 6's I aim mid neck.

I just aim where the load will hit his head, neck, and waddles.

Daman

3" 870 Shell Shucker

That depends on the POA / POI of the individual setup.

My 870 12, Middle of the Neck.
My BPS 12, Bottom of the Neck.
My Charles Daly 20, the Head.

neal

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Tom Foolery