OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I'm converted

Started by Mike Honcho, March 27, 2011, 11:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

Just joined the forum a couple of weeks ago and was not familiar with Hevi Shot or Nitros. I've always used 3 or 3 1/2" Remington Nitro Mag 4's.  I deep cleaned and polished my 835 and sourced some Mag Blends 3 1/2" 2.25 oz 5,6,7   I shot my first patterns today at 40 yds and used a new HS Strut Undertaker High Density shot choke (.705) .  It was a little windy and 37 degrees but I was able to get 133 in 10".  About two weeks ago I was getting 50 in similar conditions with unpolished barrel and the std. Mossberg 835 Ulti Full extended turkey choke, Remington Nitro  Mag 4's 3".  I'm truly impressed.  I know there are better chokes out there that will improve my numbers...I just bought the Undertaker High Density becuase I could  source it quickly.  I'd like to try some Nitros soon too.

lotsaleadindahead

You should have known that wouldv'e been the case with HS or Nitros, but that was probably the summer you were away at community college doing a full spread and I mean a full spread.

Ricky Bobby

knightrider

now put you a pg670 in that mossy and watch your numbers skyrocket to 200 or better :you_rock:

Mike Honcho

Lotsaleadindahead: I wondered if anyone would figure out my nickname! Good Job! I may change it to El Diablo now!

Knightrider: thanks for the pg info..I'm confused on HS (I'm using the 5,6,7 blend) ...it appears that a slightly more open choke is recommended (Undertaker High Density is .705 advertised , my digital calipers say .697) and my Undertaker for  lead shot for the 835 reads about .680.    Is the pg at .670 going to be too tight for the Blends?
I tried one Mag Blend with my factory 835  extended Ulti  Full (which is tighter than my Undertaker High Density) and it blew the pattern all over....this choke does quite well with lead.    Again I'm not saying the Undertakers are a good choice...just what I had quick access to in the nether regions of Kansas. 

lotsaleadindahead

Quote from: Mike Honcho on March 28, 2011, 08:39:02 AM
Lotsaleadindahead: I wondered if anyone would figure out my nickname! Good Job! I may change it to El Diablo now!

Knightrider: thanks for the pg info..I'm confused on HS (I'm using the 5,6,7 blend) ...it appears that a slightly more open choke is recommended (Undertaker High Density is .705 advertised , my digital calipers say .697) and my Undertaker for  lead shot for the 835 reads about .680.    Is the pg at .670 going to be too tight for the Blends?
I tried one Mag Blend with my factory 835  extended Ulti  Full (which is tighter than my Undertaker High Density) and it blew the pattern all over....this choke does quite well with lead.    Again I'm not saying the Undertakers are a good choice...just what I had quick access to in the nether regions of Kansas. 

That part of the movie had me in stitches!

bbcoach

Mike,
Welcome to OG!  I found this site a couple of years ago when I was setting up my 835.  I have taken the Wealth of Knowledge from Everyone here and have developed a Turkey Slaying Machine.  I have finally settled on a PG .670 choke and Hevi 13 3 1/2 #7's with a Bushnell Red Dot to top her off and have totally confidence that any bird inside 60 yards is going home in the back of the truck.  I don't plan on using it for that distance anytime soon but with the patterns that she shoots, it's nice to know I have that capability.  Again Welcome to OG and Good Luck with OLE Three Toes, with whatever set-up you settle on.  By the way, my set-up yields 300+ in a ten inch circle at 40.

Mike Honcho

Thanks Guys, appreciate the kind words.   I'm a gun nut anyway and this site has really helped me get back into shotguns.  In addition to my 835 I have a camo BPS 10ga. 24" that I just picked up...it will be my "lead " gun this year.  I got it two days before our fall KS turkey season closed and I was fortunate enought to bag a nice triple bearded eastern with it on Jan. 30.   I'll set up the 835 for Hevi Shot.

[attachment deleted by admin]

archery1

YES THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST MOST EXPENSIVE WEBSITES ONLINE :icon_thumright:
I SHOOT MY MOSSY 835 WITH A INDIAN CREEK CHOKE .675
I HAVE BOUGHT THE HEVI 3" SHELLS IN 6 AN 7 SHOT..
CAN'T GO WRONG WITH THE HEVI SHOT
I HAVE SEEN THE BEST NUMBERS WITH THE INDIAN CREEK AND PURE GOLD CHOKES FOR THE MOSSBERG 835
SEEMS LIKE A .670 OR .675 IS THE BEST CHOKE FOR THIS GUN
Take a kid hunting

Gold Spur

Welcome to OG Mike! The guys around here will have you shooting over 200 in no time. Congrats on the triple bearded bird also....  :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

BOFF

Quote from: Gold Spur on March 28, 2011, 09:01:19 PM
Welcome to OG Mike! The guys around here will have you shooting over 200 in no time. Congrats on the triple bearded bird also....  :icon_thumright:

x2

A lot of good info on the site!!

God Bless,
David B.