OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who out there uses a Mossberg 500

Started by Franchi I-12, March 27, 2011, 08:57:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franchi I-12

Just wondering who all uses a Mossberg 500 for there turkey killer ?? What chokes & loads work best out of them ?

Tom Foolery

A guy I hunt with has one, he runs a Kicks .655" and Win Gray Box 3" 1 7/8oz lead #6's to the tune of 110-120 in the 10" at 42yds.

SumToy

660 with lead good out to 35 to 40 go heavy shot if you going to go past 40.  Now if you want to wake it up drop it down to around a 645 to 650. :anim_25:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Franchi I-12

Which choke would you go with the .645 or .650 and are you refering to using the Hevi-shot with that constriction ?  :fud: :gobble:

Franchi I-12

I have an older model TruGlo by Bansner's choke that shoot's preety much everything well but it seems to really like the 3" Win. HV #6's. I haven't tried any of the Hevi-Shot out of this choke tube though. I have no clue what constriction the choke is because it doesn't have it on it anywhere. :smiley-patriotic-flagwaver-an   

ericjames

I got one for a backup with a kicks .655 and it shoots mag blends great

mcgruff1533

I have a 535 with a 20" barrel.      So far, my best shooting choke/ load has been a Tru Glo SSX .643" with Federal Mag Shok 3.5"-2oz-#6 lead with the Flite Control wad.      It's putting 245 pellets in a 10" circle at 30 yards.   

I picked up an Indian Creek .660" choke and some Hevi #7's this Spring but haven't gotten a chance to pattern them yet.

dawei

Quote from: Franchi  I-12 on March 27, 2011, 08:57:03 PMJust wondering who all uses a Mossberg 500 for there turkey killer ?? What chokes & loads work best out of them ?
I've used a Mossberg® Mdl 500C 20ga pump since 04/2000. I mainly use two chokes with this gun..............
• Wrights® Swarm™ .555"
• Hastings® .570" (I20570)
As for loads I use............
• Winchester® Supreme® 3" Mag 1200fps 1 5/16oz #4Pb (STH2034)
• Remington Premier® Hevi•Shot® 3" Mag 1175fps 1¼oz #6 (PRHS20M6) 12g/cc

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

natman

I have used a Mossberg 500 for years. My latest:

I had very good results with the factory Xfull choke on my old one and am currently using the factory "Xfactor" choke. I've also got a Star Dot I've been meaning to try.

Out to 40 yards I've had excellent results with Winchester 3" 2oz #4s:

http://www.winchester.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/supreme/turkey-loads/Pages/X123MXCT4.aspx

chatterbox

I shoot the 535 and a JH .660.
This combo gets me 189 in a 10" circle at 40 yrds with hevi-13 3-2-6

davisd9

I shoot an 835 with a star dot choke using Hevi13 1 5/8 oz 6s.  Happy with the results and has a killing pattern.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

hunter82

i have 2 of them.the older one shoots great with a hastings .660 and winchester supreme hv 6 shots and  the one i recently has a primos tightwad .660 and winchester supreme hv 6 shot.

Franchi I-12

Mine is an older model to. It has the old woodland green camo on it. It also likes the Win. Supreme 3" #6 HV

SumToy

Quote from: Franchi  I-12 on March 27, 2011, 10:45:24 PM
Which choke would you go with the .645 or .650 and are you refering to using the Hevi-shot with that constriction ?  :fud: :gobble:

You can shoot both with some of the chokes that are out.  I would put the 645 in and let it go.  You will have a good set up with the lead or the HTL stuff.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA