turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SBEII + Gobbler Gun Choke + Hevi #7 = Priceless

Started by neal, March 27, 2011, 08:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neal

Well I finally was able to shoot my new SBEII today I put in a .665 gobbler gun choke, speed bead and run 31/2" Hevi 7's and Magblends through it, I have a I/C choke also but after shooting the Gobbler Gun choke I left the I/C in the package. I did not clean the gun after each shot. I would think I would also see improved #'s when it warms up, and the snow is gone. Some of the patterns where hard to count at 40 the wad was going though the paper!

The following is 40 yards with a range finder 27 degrees no wind
10" circle
7's  239
Blends 212

50 yards

7's 122
Blends 89

Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

sugarray

Either will smoke turkeys out to 50 yds easy!!  You are ready for Standing Rock.

Timberline

Neal  - I am also in Wisconsin.  It was a cold day to pattern today, but it felt ok in the sun.  A couple of questions:

Are you sure about that 40 yards?  The reason I am asking is because it is unusual for the wad to repeatedly punch holes in the target at 40 yards.    I think you said you used a range finder.

Anyway, congrats!

doepee

Neal--them are some awesome pattern , I shot a sbe 2 .660 jellyhead and only got 200 at 40 and it was in the 60s with heavy 7s and 3.5 and 3in... going to shoot again ... Undecided on my next choke?  It is hard to believe the wad was going through the target at 40 I have never had that happen at 30

BigPeck215

i've seen the flite control wad go through paper at 40yds a few times, but never any other wad

Timberline

I think I see what happened.  He might have shot the close patterns between 25 – 30 yards and the long pattern at 50 yards.  Otherwise the 50-yard numbers look a little too low.  That might also explain how he got holes from the wad.

If that happened, then the 7's at 27 degrees would have been:
25 – 30 yards = 239
40 yards ~ 170 (estimated)
50 yards = 122

The 7's at 60 degrees would have been:
40 yards ~ 220
50 yards ~ 157
That lines up close with what Doepee got at 60 degrees.

For the MB at 27 degrees, it would be:
25 – 30 yards = 212
40 yards ~ 125 (estimated)
50 yards = 89

The MB at 60 degrees would have been:
40 yards ~ 160
50 yards ~ 115

At 70 degrees and 40 yards , that would have been:
7's ~ 235
MB ~ 175

That could explain it.  Otherwse if the MB pattern at 27 degrees was shot at 40 yards it would be something like 290 at 70 degrees.  I think that would be a new record for this site.

shootumindaface

Neal, specifically states at a range finder 40 yards.. ....

Rob has said to others the Mag Blend is the best shell right now available as far as consistency and when he gets something working he knows through shooting what to expect..

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I've had wads punch through the target at 30 yards using a Full choke and 1.5 ounces of Fiocchi Lead 6's in my BPS.

wisconsinteacher

Good work Neal.  I shot my new gun yesterday and will post results later.   :z-guntootsmiley:

neal

Now I don't do this everyday but I do know how to use my range finder, it was at 40 yards unless my range finder is lying to me and I had 2 out of 4 or 5 shot where the wad went through the paper the other ones where bouncing off from it, I had a buddy there and we where both amazed and after I was done shooting he was about ready to pitch his gun in the weeds  :TooFunny:

As far as the choke this is what Rob told me to shoot so that's what I'm shooting I don't know the first thing about chokes and loads other than what I read on here, but I do know Rob know exactly what he's talking about! I am very happy with my set up and can't wait to try it out on the real thing.
Hooks Custom Calls Prostaff member

NWTF Diamond life member, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member, NWTF Nationals Hunting Call Competition Judge, Hooks custom calls striker builder, WI, MN & IA State Friction Calling Champion.

Timberline

Neal - I hope you know that I was not accusing you of lying.  If I had a new setup, I would have shot close, and 40 and maybe more just like you did.  I just thought maybe you had mixed up the patern papers or the numbers on the close ones.

Nice numbers in any case.