OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

ebony

Started by M,Yingling, March 27, 2011, 07:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M,Yingling

? for you guys that turn ebony ,, I picked me up few feet ebony and when i cut into it you could see some small checks in the wood is this common or was it dryed to fast ?? ,, Was lookin to turn few pots from it but not sure with the small checks ,,,Looks like i may have lots striker wood

Thanks
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Bonjour

If the cracks aren't too bad, you can use some ca glue while sanding to help fill the small cracks and to strengthen it up. Ebony is a very different kind of wood to work with, and it does like to heat check and check while drying, but it makes a great call. Are these checks on the ends, or all the way through the piece? If they are all the way through, I would call the supplier and see if they could replace it with a better piece.

M,Yingling

the checks are not the whole why throw but the board is just wide enough for a pot , some end checks and seems like it checked on the sides few places ,,no returns , i picked it up at a local sale dirt cheap

Thanks for the info I.ll try the CA
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Hillbilly280

Like Bonjour said ca glue will work fine on the small checks.When you cut it sharpe tools and light cuts and sand light dont let it get hot.It will check on you.Makes a nice call.Good luck my friend.

Bobby
VANOVER GAME CALLS

bird

Bonjour & Ebony  :icon_thumright:

Cut*N*Run

I've had significant cracks- border line voids- in applewood mostly that I've glued up before turning by putting the blank in a bench vise under light pressure, pouring CA glue in the cracks, and then cranking down on the vise.

I haven't worked with ebony, but if any of the cracks run deep that might be worth a shot.