OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Drying burl?

Started by mauser06, June 25, 2015, 12:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauser06

So I plan to get a large and start making my own calls...big thing stopping me now is a place to run the lathe right now...

I want to us some natural burl after I get good at turning pots and making good sounding calls..

Are there any good websites on "harvesting" burl to turn on the small scale?? 

I know most would be cherry...but might find others...

Also wouldn't mind using wood I find..but again don't know how to properly dry it without it splitting and cracking...

Just thinking ahead..if it takes time to dry I can start collecting it now...

Thanx

mastevt

Burls take a long time to dry.  Took almost 2 years to dry a good size burl I had.  Burls have a tendency to  crack and  check anywhere.  Lots of websites sell wood blanks.  There is a private facebook page called callnuts, and there are alot of guys on there that sell burl blanks of all kinds, and are stabilized and ready to turn.  I get alot of my wood from a local saw mill.  Look for a local mill in your area.   

Rick Howard

If your are cutting your own blanks.  You should cut your blanks while the wood is still green.  Cutting the pith out is helpful but not walks necesarry. Cut the blanks over size as they will shrink when they dry.  Seal the end grain in wax or anchor seal or even exterior paint.  I dip the ends in old paint or melted wax.  Then say your prayers and wait.  The general rule of thumb on waiting time is 1 year per inch of thickness. 

If feasible you can weigh each peice every week or so.  Once it stops loosing weight for several weeks it's ready.

Burls have a mind of their own.  I seal them up and let them set and dry a bit.  Then cut them into oversize blanks and seal them again for their final drying stage.

Most wood you find on the ground will need some help from stabilizing or will be too checked (cracked) to do much with. 

As counter intuitive as it may seem.  Your goal is to slow the drying down so it can happen more evenly.  because water travels easier in and out of the end grain, sealing then end grain helps your blanks dry more evenly.

mauser06

Thanx guys!  I appreciate it! 

Did some digging online....sounds possible but more involved that I thought...

I still might try it eventually...

Rick Howard

It is pretty involved.  I think this is why most people prefer to buy it.  I buy most of my wood.  I would rather spend my time making the things I want to make.