turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question.?

Started by Bro2032, June 16, 2015, 05:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro2032

I'm using Spar varnish on my pot calls. Once the finish is dry,  is it necessary to sand the finish off of the sound board pedastel, and surface ledge before gluing up the call.? I've always done it, but not sure it's necessary.. Thanks.!!

M,Yingling

I do it also ,,, the build up of finish will throw the measurements off a bit 
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Bro2032

Quote from: M,Yingling on June 17, 2015, 08:14:44 PM
I get a bubbly looking bond on my glass calls, and thought putting it over the finish might cure that. Looking for a cleaner looking bond between the glass and pot..

mastevt

Quote from: Bro2032 on June 18, 2015, 03:35:47 AM
I get a bubbly looking bond on my glass calls, and thought putting it over the finish might cure that. Looking for a cleaner looking bond between the glass and pot..

I've had this conversation with this issue, with many people, including some on here.  The bubbles are common, as long as they are small.  I've tried multiple different glues, and they all do the same, and I, being in the automotive industry, and knowing some about auto paint, I've come to the conclusion that what you are seeing is the gas being released by the glue as it hardens.  The gas gets trapped by the glass, and therefore cannot escape to leave a clean glue line.  The same thing happens to fresh paint on cars and trucks.  Hence the reason they have to let the paint or clear coat "cure"  before you can wax it.  If you don't, you will impregnate the paint with the wax, and you will have a hard time getting it out.  Usually by wet sanding and buffing.  I know a lot of turkey call makers, and we all face the same issue on glass calls with the bubbles.  If there is a glue out there that holds as good as E-6000 or Goop, which most, if not all of us use, and does not bubble, I do not know of it.  Hope this helps.  Scott.

Bro2032

Quote from: mastevt on June 21, 2015, 08:08:12 AM
Quote from: Bro2032 on June 18, 2015, 03:35:47 AM

I've had this conversation with this issue, with many people, including some on here.  The bubbles are common, as long as they are small.  I've tried multiple different glues, and they all do the same, and I, being in the automotive industry, and knowing some about auto paint, I've come to the conclusion that what you are seeing is the gas being released by the glue as it hardens.  The gas gets trapped by the glass, and therefore cannot escape to leave a clean glue line.  The same thing happens to fresh paint on cars and trucks.  Hence the reason they have to let the paint or clear coat "cure"  before you can wax it.  If you don't, you will impregnate the paint with the wax, and you will have a hard time getting it out.  Usually by wet sanding and buffing.  I know a lot of turkey call makers, and we all face the same issue on glass calls with the bubbles.  If there is a glue out there that holds as good as E-6000 or Goop, which most, if not all of us use, and does not bubble, I do not know of it.  Hope this helps.  Scott.
Thank you.. I have tried Goop, and E6000, and get the same results. I guess it's just something we have to live with. I thought that it may have been caused by air being released by the wood under the glue, and that a finish on the ledge, and pedistal might prevent it, but I guess not.. thanks again.!!