OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trumpet players please help

Started by Onpoint, June 09, 2015, 10:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

Try not to laugh to hard, I know I suck but I'm tryin to get better

davisd9

Cannot help with the mouthpiece as all of my mouthpieces are straight.  I would play it however i could produce the best turkey calls.  You may want to play with the lip stop as well, small adjustments for each player can go a long way.  I personally like to have my lip stop pretty close to the end of the mouthpiece.

Also, you are drawing too much air.  Less is more.  You will get sharper sounds if you tone down the air intake.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

outdoors

THERES ALOT OF PRACTICE AND DONT DRAW REAL HARD AND WHEN U CUP THE BELL THAT MAKES ALOT OF DIFFERANCE IN SOUD ITS NOT ALL THAT EASY BUT DOABLE
IVE BROUGHT A FEW GOBBLERS IN FROM WAY WAY OFF ..  GOOD LUCK
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Jobugg12

The angle goes down, i would mess with your hands and make sure you're not cutting the air off.  With all these trumpet makers on this website, they should be able to help you. 

West Augusta

Slow down a little and relax.  You are close to getting the sound that you want.  Practice.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

hunter22

Justin,

Jobugg was taught by one of the best trumpet players out there. He knows what he is talking about and pretty good himself.

mgm1955

Don't get discouraged it takes practice.

Onpoint

Quote from: Onpoint on June 09, 2015, 10:28:06 PM
Try not to laugh to hard, I know I suck but I'm tryin to get better

I didn't practice it today..gonna pick back up tomorrow evening after work if I ain't too wore out. Any time the boss tells me to come in an hour early and to make sure I wear my climbing boots, I know I'm about to get a workout.  I just wish the trees grew in the air conditioning.

Jacobson

You know, the only angled mouthpiece trumpet I have is by Frank Cox, I play the angle down on my bottom lip. That is what is comfortable for me. When I started out I practiced until my lips were sore, not a good idea. Simply run it every day for a short period, working on a calling sequence. By next season you will know you can kill a turkey, as the confidence will be there, and so will the sound. The hardest part of running a trumpet for me was to elongate the yelp so that it sounded real, as rollover in a trumpet can be too fast if you are not relaxed. Good Luck

callmakerman

If your lip gets sore from running a trumpet or wing bone then your clamping down on it to much. Relax your lips and draw the air slow and easy paying attention to how your cupping your hands so as not to close off the air flow causing you to draw harder. Also try moving the mouth piece to a different spot on your mouth. Some run them in the middle of the lip. I play mine on the right side of middle. That's where it feels right for me. Also adjust the lip stop to where it feels right for you. To short and the fat of your lip could block the air flow.

One piece of advice I was given helped me tremendously.  Blow up your cheeks and let the air slowly leak out. Where the air naturally leaks out is where you should run the call. This made a huge difference for me.

redmag

Quote from: 762 on July 09, 2015, 04:48:06 PM
One piece of advice I was given helped me tremendously.  Blow up your cheeks and let the air slowly leak out. Where the air naturally leaks out is where you should run the call. This made a huge difference for me.

What, I don't understand, I thought this was about trumpet calls.

drenalinld

Quote from: redmag on July 13, 2015, 03:16:41 PM

The spot from side to side on your mouth that naturally leaks out air first is where he is saying you should place trumpet mouthpiece.

Quote from: drenalinld on July 13, 2015, 05:20:59 PM
Quote from: redmag on July 13, 2015, 03:16:41 PM

The spot from side to side on your mouth that naturally leaks out air first is where he is saying you should place trumpet mouthpiece.
Yes that's what I'm talking about.  Where to put the mouthpiece.