Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone Remove the Finish from an Anodized Aluminum Call?

Started by hunter22, June 09, 2015, 09:09:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter22

Most of you know that I am a huge fan of Daybreak Calls made by Gary Anderson. His fit and finish on his calls are second to done. I now have 4 of his aluminum calls in addition to several slate, glass, and ceramics. The first aluminum call I got from him was back in 2008. It had a great sound but the surface was too slick for my liking. I removed the anodized finish on the call down to bare aluminum. To me it did not effect the sound at all. I have done this to a couple aluminum calls with good results. Anyone else ever tried this?

https://soundcloud.com/hunter22-2/daybreak-osage-aluminum

Spring Creek Calls

I've never removed the anodized finish but have sold a few pots because of it. Just like the raw aluminium better.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Onpoint

Quote from: hunter22 on June 09, 2015, 09:09:55 AM
Most of you know that I am a huge fan of Daybreak Calls made by Gary Anderson. His fit and finish on his calls are second to done. I now have 4 of his aluminum calls in addition to several slate, glass, and ceramics. The first aluminum call I got from him was back in 2008. It had a great sound but the surface was too slick for my liking. I removed the anodized finish on the call down to bare aluminum. To me it did not effect the sound at all. I have done this to a couple aluminum calls with good results. Anyone else ever tried this?

https://soundcloud.com/hunter22-2/daybreak-osage-aluminum
I have had the same experience you have. I've made some pots better and I've also ruined a couple.

hunter22

I use Rain Chalk and pool cue chalk on some of my strikers and they really help the striker bite on the slick aluminum. But if I have an aluminum call that is so slick there is no way I would hunt it for fear of making a high pitched screeching sound then the anodized finish is coming off. The way I see it, it is hard to ruin something that is not usable.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I like the raw much better, especially 1/2 blasted like Yingling does on his.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Onpoint

Quote from: hunter22 on June 09, 2015, 02:30:09 PM
I use Rain Chalk and pool cue chalk on some of my strikers and they really help the striker bite on the slick aluminum. But if I have an aluminum call that is so slick there is no way I would hunt it for fear of making a high pitched screeching sound then the anodized finish is coming off. The way I see it, it is hard to ruin something that is not usable.
I have found another trick as well. I'll take white chalk and run it over my call just like I would a box call lid and then I'll wipe it off with a paper towel. Enough stays behind to grab the striker. This is how I run my go to aluminum.

outdoors

I HAVE ONE THATS EXACTLY LIKE THIS
HUNTER 22 LOOKS LIKE U DID A REAL GOOD ON YOURS HOW DID YA DO IT
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

marshboy

How did you remove the finish down to the aluminum?
Greg

hunter22

I used fine sandpaper to remove the finish. I worked it real slow. When I got to the edges I used a glass call sanding stone. I have also done this to a Dawkins aluminum and that thing will flat scream. I have killed three gobblers running it since I took the finish off. This may not help every slick aluminum call but I have been real pleased with mine. I have another Dawkins aluminum with the finish still on it and I hunt it some and keep my striker chalked with pool cue chalk. Out of the two I like my raw aluminum one the best. 

Jimspur

english professor

I bought a used Woodhaven Vision Aluminum on eBay.  The black anodized surface was a bit worn, but the call sounded great.  Really an eye-opener as I'd never run an aluminum call before.

So, I bought another of the same for a back-up, used, on eBay.  It arrived with a completely sanded finish.  I didn't think it sounded too good and I was troubled by the shiny surface.  So, I sent it to Woodhaven to evaluate and, maybe, put a new aluminum disc in the pot.

I got a phone call from Jimbo Lindsey of Woodhaven.  He said it sounded great to him - give it a chance.  He personally matched a striker to it and called me personally - which is superlative customer care for a call he had been told up front was bought on eBay.  He was right!  I got it back and tried it out with a longer session than before, and it really did sound goooood.

Then, I sought to rough up the surface to a more even finish than the previous owner had hand-sanded.  I taped off the wood and bead blasted the aluminum until I got it evenly, ever-so-slightly roughed up and duller in shine.  It's not as rough as using a dressing stone, but not as smooth as slate.  It's now one of my favorite pot calls.  It always goes with me to the turkey woods. It's really good at purring.

So, my experience without the anodized, usually black surface, is very positive.