turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

One of the most ( sound file added)

Started by callmakerman, June 07, 2015, 05:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KentuckyHeadhunter

Yes! A small blowtorch.  Start far away and just make passes with it til you began to see it alter the finish.  Definitely practice on a scrap piece (or nine:-)).  I use to make acrylic display stands for custom art objects and artifacts. Cast acrylic and even extruded acrylic will polish easily this way.  Just don't get to close and melt it. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Rick Howard

Quote from: callmakerman on June 08, 2015, 04:53:13 PM
Quote from: Rick Howard on June 08, 2015, 04:20:30 PM
You can us a torch to polish acrylic. 
That's what Austy was saying. Guess I need to read up it before the next one. I'm one of those guys that when I get it in my head I just go for it. No research, you tube or anything else. Just do it. :TooFunny:

I am the opposite and try to head off snags before they happen, but I appreciate the way you work.  Sometimes I get caught up and have to remind myself to jump in.  You can read all ya want about swimming but you don't know how until you get in the water.   

I have never done the torch method on acrylics but I have seen it done with outstanding success.  I made a few pens with acrylic and the smell ran through my house.  It was enough to irritate my otherwise calm wife.  She puts up with a lot of bad smells and ear piercing noises in my house already so I stay away from the stuff now. 

callmakerman

Quote from: Rick Howard on June 09, 2015, 10:47:08 AM
Quote from: callmakerman on June 08, 2015, 04:53:13 PM
Quote from: Rick Howard on June 08, 2015, 04:20:30 PM
You can us a torch to polish acrylic. 
That's what Austy was saying. Guess I need to read up it before the next one. I'm one of those guys that when I get it in my head I just go for it. No research, you tube or anything else. Just do it. :TooFunny:

I am the opposite and try to head off snags before they happen, but I appreciate the way you work.  Sometimes I get caught up and have to remind myself to jump in.  You can read all ya want about swimming but you don't know how until you get in the water.   

I have never done the torch method on acrylics but I have seen it done with outstanding success.  I made a few pens with acrylic and the smell ran through my house.  It was enough to irritate my otherwise calm wife.  She puts up with a lot of bad smells and ear piercing noises in my house already so I stay away from the stuff now. 
Rick that's just the way I am. Hard headed and school of hard knocks. I do my turning in the garage so there's no bad smalls or dust in the house.

REBELYELL

Congrats Bill, glad you were able to pull it off. Wish I could see the finished call and would love to hear it. You taking orders for acrylic pots yet?  :z-dizzy:

callmakerman

Quote from: REBELYELL on June 10, 2015, 11:38:20 PM
Congrats Bill, glad you were able to pull it off. Wish I could see the finished call and would love to hear it. You taking orders for acrylic pots yet?  :z-dizzy:
NOPE not yet any way. Jody I have no clue how to post a sound file but if you want send me your email address and I can send one to that plus pic.

drenalinld

callmakerman

https://soundcloud.com/callmakerman/crystal-glass-pot Not sure if this will work but here it goes.  This was recorded real close to my lap top so I hope it works out.

mgm1955

Onpoint

Quote from: callmakerman on June 12, 2015, 09:06:55 PM
https://soundcloud.com/callmakerman/crystal-glass-pot Not sure if this will work but here it goes.  This was recorded real close to my lap top so I hope it works out.
Sounds great

Why'd u decide to get with crystal instead of slate?

callmakerman

Quote from: Onpoint on June 12, 2015, 10:37:21 PM
Sounds great

I guess because it could be used as a wetone call if I wanted to. I'll be doing an aluminum and a slate as well.

Rick Howard

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Onpoint

Quote from: callmakerman on June 13, 2015, 08:04:52 AM
Quote from: Onpoint on June 12, 2015, 10:37:21 PM
Sounds great

I guess because it could be used as a wetone call if I wanted to. I'll be doing an aluminum and a slate as well.
Awesome.  Look forward to it.

I finally found an acrylic call, csnt wait to get it

Footballer

I love the sound of that call! Will you be selling these?

callmakerman

Quote from: Footballer on June 13, 2015, 09:56:13 PM
I love the sound of that call! Will you be selling these?
I'll be honest. I'm not sure yet. I need to turn a few more of these and figure a few things out. This for me was one of the toughest pots I have turned but when it was said and done by far one of my best glass calls to date. I really like this call.