OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

One of the most ( sound file added)

Started by callmakerman, June 07, 2015, 05:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmakerman

nerve wracking pots I ever turned. I got this acrylic form Jody (rebelyell) a few weeks back and thought I would try turning a pot today. :TrainWreck1: Man this stuff is tuff and wants to grab your tools no matter how sharp they are. I was on pins and needles the whole time. This will be a glass over slate when done and I hope it works out. The finish isn't as clear as I want but I'm guessing that I would need some polishing compound to really clean it up. The fine grit sand paper just kind of melted the dust on the pot. Maybe next time. :bike2:

eorlando

Bill, That's going to be slick. I can't wait to see the finished product.

hunter22

I like it a lot. Hard to beat those acrylics for sound and looks if done right.

West Augusta

I kind of like that frosted look Bill.  Going to make a killer pot call I'm sure.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

sbbow

I think it looks real good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdoors

I LIKE TOO SEE THE FINISH PRODUCT
NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT.  :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Austy

Looks good Bill and I am sure when it's done it will be a killer.  I think I remember seeing a short call making video somewhere, for some reason I think it may have been Zink calls but I'm not sure where they were doing an acralic duck call if my memory serves me right.  Anyway point I was getting to was if you were looking for a crystal clear look to the finished pot they took a torch to the call and in the video you could see that it went from a frosted look to an almost crystal clear finish.  Don't know if that helps you or not Bill.  If I find the link to the video I will email it to you.  Oh and I feel your pain with the pins and needles!!!

harrorick

I made a few of them and if you get it right it is a sweet sounding call.

Rick Howard

It leaves a nice smell in your shop for a week too!

callmakerman

Thanx for the kind words guys and the info Austy I'll have to look it up and think about it for the next one. The call sounds awesome. I didn't leave it in the clamps any more than 8 hours and had to play it. It has a very nice high pitch with a great break and raspy rollover. Now I have to wait till the fall season to hunt it.

mastevt

Sand in steps down to 2000, then polish with Novus. It will be as clear as glass. 

callmakerman

Quote from: mastevt on June 08, 2015, 02:21:26 PM
Sand in steps down to 2000, then polish with Novus. It will be as clear as glass. 
I did sand down to 1500 and it seemed like the sanding dust was gluing itself back on the pot. Maybe I needed to slow the lathe speed. No matter as I really like this call. Only wish I had turned it sooner for my season.

Rick Howard

You can us a torch to polish acrylic. 

callmakerman

Quote from: Rick Howard on June 08, 2015, 04:20:30 PM
You can us a torch to polish acrylic. 
That's what Austy was saying. Guess I need to read up it before the next one. I'm one of those guys that when I get it in my head I just go for it. No research, you tube or anything else. Just do it. :TooFunny: