OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snake wood

Started by Gobbleandgrunt, June 05, 2015, 07:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobbleandgrunt

Thinking on buying a snake wood striker. Any of you guys that run this striker I'd love to hear your input on what you run it on and what it sounds like. It's a hard wood so I'm thonking it's really high pitched with little rasp? Let me have your thoughts!! Thanks

eorlando

I have a Bill Lyman (callmakerman) one and love it. It runs well on everything. My next one will be a Steve Torman. I just need to start saving my pennies.

Spring Creek Calls

I have a Bill Lyman snakewood striker that sounds great with any crystal or glass call that I own.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Gobbleandgrunt

Ear buster or raspy on average?

Gobblerstopper

I have only made a few strikers out of snakewood and liked them both a lot. A couple had mammoth ivory tips and one was a flared tip. All of them ran great on the glass surfaces and I thing the flared tip sound good on ceramic and copper also.

I would like to make more of them, but have a problem asking enough to cover the cost of the wood and my time.

mgm1955

I have a Lyman and a Torman snakewood. They run great on all surfaces. Secondly those are some beautiful strikers gobblerstopper. Wouldn't mind getting one.

Onpoint

Quote from: Gobblerstopper on June 06, 2015, 05:07:51 AM
I have only made a few strikers out of snakewood and liked them both a lot. A couple had mammoth ivory tips and one was a flared tip. All of them ran great on the glass surfaces and I thing the flared tip sound good on ceramic and copper also.

I would like to make more of them, but have a problem asking enough to cover the cost of the wood and my time.

Beautiful.
that's one the best looking pot/striker combos I've ever seen

cutt down

I have a Larry Gresser & a Bill Lyman snakewood. Both run on anything. Good rasp & mine are medium to medium high pitch with great rollover.

Onpoint

Quote from: cutt down on June 11, 2015, 12:50:45 AM
I have a Larry Gresser & a Bill Lyman snakewood. Both run on anything. Good rasp & mine are medium to medium high pitch with great rollover.
I have a Stuckey and lyman snakewood.
nothin brings the rasp out of a call like snakewood does.

Macasser ebony is still my all around favorite. snakewood is definitely in my top 5 as far as sound. IMO nothing looks better than snakewood.

Pm me with details on a tipped snakewood. Does it still have the sound of snakewood or does that tone it down a bit? Never played an ivory tipped striker.

Onpoint

Quote from: Gobblerstopper on June 06, 2015, 05:07:51 AM

Interested in your ivory tipped snakewood
Do the tipped strikers still sound like snakewood or does the ivory tame it some?

In other words would a ivory tipped macasser sound like an ivory tipped snakewood?

I have no experience with ivory tipped strikers..

Gobblerstopper

I have used several different woods and put ivory on the tip and not noticed a huge difference in sound between them. The ivory adds a little pitch and grips well to glass. Definitely a difference between two strikers of the same wood when you add ivory to one of them.

The snakewood, snakewood/ivory and cocobolo/ivory or strikers that I sell are sold with a call for the most part. I don't make enough of them to offer them on their own, although I have put one or two on my Facebook page by themselves. My biggest issue is the price of them.

hunter22

That is a beautiful set Andy.

yelpaholic

another vote for bill lyman snakewood great,running striker , I love the weight of it a little heavier than most, not bad to look at either

Gobbleandgrunt

Got me a stuckley! Looks awesome, sounds even better!!