turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Target Loads for Turkey

Started by 357MAGNOLE, June 02, 2015, 06:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

Anyone use these FOR Turkey hunting purposes?

I noticed a couple members Izzyjoe, and BandedSpur had mentioned good results on the patterning boards from some 2 3/4" #7.5 loads.  I myself have also had surprisingly good to great results up to the 35 yard mark.  These shells run $8 a box of 25 at the local Walmart. 

I just picked up two more boxes of Winchester and Federal to do some more extensive testing and patterning (what can I say, its actually lots of fun making tight patterns)

I will report back in this thread, but I am interested in your opinions.  With a good pattern up to 35 yards would any of you still shy away from the shell because its not a 3 or 3 1/2" turkey load? What about the power delivered, do you all think it would be sufficient with #7.5 shot at 1200 FPS?

If you have any pictures from patterning these loads feel free to share, I am interested in hearing all opinions.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

natman

Punching all the way through a piece of paper is one thing. Punching through turkey bones is another at 40 yards.

No, I don't think 7.5 target loads are a good idea at any but the very shortest distance. Besides, lead turkey loads aren't that expensive. Once you get the shotgun sighted in you'll only use a few a year.

357MAGNOLE

Understood, I am thinking along the lines of 30 and less yard shots. The shot size was my main concern, I would never take a shot over 30 unless it was with HTL 7's
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Izzyjoe

Everyone has an opinion on what works, if you practice, and know you're shotgun, and you keep youre shots inside the 30yd mark, there's not a turkey living that could survive the hit! Now with that being said I have found that the win AA 7.5 loads running 1300 fps seem to pattern the best for my shotgun at 30yds, but if I try and stretch that to 35yds,  the pattern goes to hades! Would I use them for turkey hunting, No! Cause you can bet you're last Twinkie that mister gobbler will stop at 40yds, and I won't have the horsepower to reach him! I don't know about you, but I don't like to watch them walk off, so I chose to use long beard #6's that I feel confident that will get the job done, and I would be living in a hunters fairy tale if all turkeys come inside 30yds, if they did I'd use dad ole 410 pump, cause I don't like getting beat up either! So I take my lumps and use what works for me, and I have patterned quite a few different loads, and spent a lot of of time with the pattern board to know what works, I've learned one hard lesson turkey hunting ain't cheap, but keep at it you'll figure it out. And I no way am I trying to come of as an expert, there are many folks on here that have shot more than I can ever fathom.

357MAGNOLE

Awesome reply, I can dig it.  Still gonna pattern these shells for fun  ;D Lots of fun for $16

Longshanks

I have been able to catch the Win 1 7/8 6's and Win 1 3/4 6's for under 10 dollars several different times. They will lay em down at 35-40. No need to shoot the low brass 7.5's. I do like hunting with the Fed 3/2/7.5's. Awesome patterns at 35-40.

357MAGNOLE

I will have to check those out.  I think I have as much fun patterning as I do actually hunting. Its a blast (no pun intended)

Also interested in trying some of these Hevi shot loads, but that price is killing that interest.

dutch@fx4

we go to turkey card shots every winter ,were you shot 33 yards at a 6 inch target the most pellets in the card wins ,we use a lot of old win model 12 shotguns with 30 inch full chokes ,we use target loads that the club buys most times it is a #4 shot .most guys can put 30 to 40 pellets in a 6 inch circle at 30 yards ,I am 100% sure thy would kill any turkey out there at this range ,I had a remm 1100 that was a winner as wel as a a5 browning that could bring home the bacon .I would not be afraid to use any of these guns and load on a turkey ,imagine what a load of # 6s would put up ..Dutch

BandedSpur

I have stated and posted pix that demonstrate that good quality target loads with 7.5s are devastating on turkeys inside 35 yds, and they are. I have killed several with them. As an adult male, shooting a 12 ga, would they be my first choice in a single barrel gun? No they would not. But they make plenty of sense for the open barrel of a double barrel gun, intended for close range work, paired with a more traditional turkey load in the long range barrel. They also make sense as a low recoil alternative for a youngster, just taking up the 12 ga, who is not yet built to absorb the punishment that a 3.5" turkey load dishes out.

Many of you have seen this pic before, but here is what a Winch Super Sporting (1&1/8-7.5s-1300 fps) looks like at 30 yds. Also, a lead 7.5 @ 1300 fps will still penetrate 1.35" of ballistic gel @35 yds, more than enough to kill turkeys.

snapper1982

Quote from: Longshanks on June 03, 2015, 12:11:06 AM
I have been able to catch the Win 1 7/8 6's and Win 1 3/4 6's for under 10 dollars several different times. They will lay em down at 35-40. No need to shoot the low brass 7.5's. I do like hunting with the Fed 3/2/7.5's. Awesome patterns at 35-40.

What is the difference in you getting an awesome pattern with the federals and him getting an awesome pattern with a low base shell? So you wouldn't use a low base 7 shot at 1300 fps? What is the fps on those federals? You do realize that it doesn't matter what the base is nor how many ounces of shot is in the shell. As long as the shot size, weight and velocity is the same it has the same per pellet energy so it isn't like a "turkey load" is the only load that could kill a turkey.

There has been many turkeys killed with low base shells. Unfortunately most of those were killed by the old timers that do not get on the net or are long past. It is commonly accepted that 7s kept inside 35 yards will kill a turkey. While 6s are supposed to drop below the "required" per pellet energy by 40 yards. I keep a rio7.5 in my vest for any situation that might require it.

357MAGNOLE

Alot of good points in here. 

I think the best points have been in regards to utilizing these softer shooting target loads for youth and women that cant handle the recoil of the bigger rounds.  I also REALLY like the idea of using one in a double barreled shotgun and having a longer range round in the opposite barrel. 

I feel these target loads can be ideal at the 5-25 yard mark.  They put out a great spread at those distances.  From what I have seen so far that would almost guarantee a clean kill over possibly missing because the spread was too small.

surehuntsalot

have killed some in my day with 2-3/4" 1-1/4oz #7.5's with no problems and yes even low brass 1oz target loads
turkeys are not bullet proof
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

stinkpickle

A pellet of any given size/type and speed does not care what type of shell it's fired from.

R AJ

Lets get real for a moment. Back in the 50s and early 60s there weren't many 3" shells as most guns had 2 3/4" chambers. Many guns were modified or full chokes and to get adequate patterns for neck shots and not body shots, the #6s and #7.5s were used extensively and the ones calling up and killing birds were making 20-35 yard shots. No, they didn't have patterns like we see today but those loads did the job for those distances. And the 32-36"full choke 3" magnum Brownings and Winchester Model 12 pumps of that day had more shot but not necessarily more velocity in those shells. What killed then can still do the job today. Limit yourself to what you , your gun or bow,and your ammunition is capable of and have fun enjoying the sport your way.

Longshanks

The Winchester 2 3/4 Super X Heavy loads,  1 1/4 ounce  6's, 7.5's is what I have used taking kids hunting. Great patterns at 30yds. They have to have a bipod to hold the gun but it does a number on the turkeys inside 35 yds. My kids are still too young to shoot a 12g but that's what we will use. They were around 10.00-12.00 for a box of 25 at Walmart.