OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

White Hevi-Shot Shell Differences

Started by Nimrodmar10, March 27, 2011, 12:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrodmar10

I noticed when I was patterning with the Hevi-Shot shells last week that the old white shells were different from the gold shells in two obvious ways. The white hull has a roll crimp that the gold one does not and the wads were different. The wad in the white shell had rings around it for it's entire length. On the bottom it said GUALANDI  ITALY. I'm a little surprised it didn't say Polywad. Did Gualandi make the wads for Polywad or was this just a different loading?

[attachment deleted by admin]

decoykrvr

The "Old Whites" were loaded for EnvironMetal by Jay Menefee @ Polywad before EM started producing turkey loads and about the only thing which it has in common w/ the current "gold" shells is the shot itself and the fact the Hevi-Shot is on both the boxes and shells.  Like many small manufacturers Polywad outsourced many of the components used in their shells.  In light of the reoccurring situation at EnvironMetal and their proclivity to "fix what ain't broke",  I often muse about what might have been if Polywad had maintained their relationship w/ EM and further developed and refined what was, IMO, the finest production turkey load which has ever been made.
Craig

Nimrodmar10

Can a reloader still get these wads?

shootumindaface

Quote from: decoykrvr on March 27, 2011, 12:43:53 PM
The "Old Whites" were loaded for EnvironMetal by Jay Menefee @ Polywad before EM started producing turkey loads and about the only thing which it has in common w/ the current "gold" shells is the shot itself and the fact the Hevi-Shot is on both the boxes and shells.  Like many small manufacturers Polywad outsourced many of the components used in their shells.  In light of the reoccurring situation at EnvironMetal and their proclivity to "fix what ain't broke",  I often muse about what might have been if Polywad had maintained their relationship w/ EM and further developed and refined what was, IMO, the finest production turkey load which has ever been made.
Craig
Well said we still have a cabinet full.. It is hard to say what Polywad would have dreamed up by now.. Not until upping the payload in the bronze loads did we have a shell that could consistently equal old white in performance, with old white still being more efficient.. The possibilites with 7s loaded in that white offering :begging:

Not only the Old white.. But look at the old Dunns duck loads for the 20 that were closed out last year.. Patterns consistently higher than the new H 13 7s and they were un buffered..

I really do not think EM has ever caught up to the knowledge that Jay Menefee had..

Clark can you elaborate as to if the 05 and 06 20g H 13 were a polywad load or someone else.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on March 27, 2011, 12:53:36 PM
Can a reloader still get these wads?

To the best of my knowledge no.  They still make wads but I havent found any that resemble that one.

turkey_slayer

Quote from: Spuriosity on March 27, 2011, 01:26:48 PM
Those wads are available to handloaders from BPI. They are the LBC (limited bore contact) wads and are made by Gualandi of Italy.

Was getting ready to post the same thing after going through the BP catalog.  Have you had any luck out of them.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: shootumindaface on March 27, 2011, 01:02:42 PM
Craig
Well said we still have a cabinet full.. It is hard to say what Polywad would have dreamed up by now.. Not until upping the payload in the bronze loads did we have a shell that could consistently equal old white in performance, with old white still being more efficient.. The possibilites with 7s loaded in that white offering :begging:

Not only the Old white.. But look at the old Dunns duck loads for the 20 that were closed out last year.. Patterns consistently higher than the new H 13 7s and they were un buffered..

I really do not think EM has ever caught up to the knowledge that Jay Menefee had..

Clark can you elaborate as to if the 05 and 06 20g H 13 were a polywad load or someone else.

Tom,

Polywad produced the first 20 gauge Hevi-13 loads in 2005. As I recall, all of the 20 gauge Hevi-13 shells that were sold in 2005 & 2006 came from that initial loading of Polywad.

They were actually introduced in October 7, 2005 at the World Championship Still Target shoot at Edgefield, SC. None of us had ever seen or even heard of those shells until that day. We'd all been shooting Remington Hevi-Shot at the shoots until that day.

That date is stuck in my mind because I was fortunate (lucky) enough to set a world record in the 20 gauge class with that shell that day. One year later, in October of 2006, Doris set a Women's world record using those shells that still stands to this date.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

shootumindaface

Quote from: allaboutshooting on March 27, 2011, 09:44:25 PM
Quote from: shootumindaface on March 27, 2011, 01:02:42 PM
Craig

Tom,

Polywad produced the first 20 gauge Hevi-13 loads in 2005. As I recall, all of the 20 gauge Hevi-13 shells that were sold in 2005 & 2006 came from that initial loading of Polywad.

They were actually introduced in October 7, 2005 at the World Championship Still Target shoot at Edgefield, SC. None of us had ever seen or even heard of those shells until that day. We'd all been shooting Remington Hevi-Shot at the shoots until that day.

That date is stuck in my mind because I was fortunate (lucky) enough to set a world record in the 20 gauge class with that shell that day. One year later, in October of 2006, Doris set a Women's world record using those shells that still stands to this date.

Thanks,
Clark

Thanks Clark. I was curious as to that..

Yet another shotshell that polywad had figured out and EM totally screwed up :'(

shootumindaface

On a side note.. When I first shot the original 12g /cc 2 3/4 15/8 old white with the Italian wads they contained so much buffer there was actually a white cloud that rose when you shot them.. I witnessed this as well as my shooting buddies..

I think at this time Hevi was so new that Polywad buffered the ever living tar out of them..

Reloader

Those old whites had 47grns of spherical buffer that was finer than PSB.  The high amount of buffer is one of the reasons the shell patterned so well.

All of my highest count factory #6 patterns have come from them.  236, 242, and 244 were my highest 3 with 220s being fairly routine.  You could pretty much count on 215-225 counts with those shells in the right choke and kill counts just past 50yds. By far the most efficient factory load ever. Not to mention how easy on the shoulder they were.

The only complaints I ever had with those shells is that they leaked buffer and MVs were terribly inconsistent.  I probably have 12-14 boxes of them and I bet 1/2 of them have leaked enough buffer to make them sound like a rattle toy.  That's ok, I recycle :D