OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New magblend (4x5x7) vs old (5x6x7)... Which/why?

Started by TheSportsman, May 25, 2015, 09:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

I see the new magblends have a 4x5x7... Would u prefer this load over the older 5x6x7 load? Why?

worth612000

Just an option to compete with the offerings from other company's. It would just be a preference on what you want. I shoot strait 7's which some hunters wouldn't choose. I have some 5,6,7 mag blend and would choose them over the larger shot due to more pellets in that load.

BandedSpur

A 6x7 blend would be preferable to either. There is nothing a HS 4 will do to a turkey that a HS 6 won't. All they do is take up room in the shell and decrease your pellet count. It is silly to trade pattern density for pellets with huge excesses of pellet energy, which HS 4s (and 5s for that matter) have. But having said that, Clark did get some great patterns with the new 4x5x7 loads.

dzsmith

its a copy of the nitro 4x5x7...thats it and thats all
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

jepcho

I prefer the 5X6X7 myself just because I think with HS 5's and 6's there is plenty of knockdown power.  As someone said about, I would much rather have just a blend of 6X7.  Why Hevishot hasn't come out with that yet, idk??

Dr Juice

I dont know, but I will give straight 6s and 7s a shot next year. I rather send more pellets downrange especially when they are HTL.

WildSpur

I would not grab the 4 option unless that's all they had but it wouldn't bother me.  I would feel better with a choke that's maybe .005 larger than what I am running in my go to gun.  Boy does the 567 load do a number though!  Can't image what a 4 would do.

Cluck more, yelp less

greentag

which ever one patterns the best,cause im sure either would do the job on a turkey at reasonable ranges.one of these will pattern better than the other in your gun,the other may pattern better in another gun.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: TheSportsman on May 25, 2015, 09:48:53 PM
I see the new magblends have a 4x5x7... Would u prefer this load over the older 5x6x7 load? Why?

I was skeptical until I tried them but the results made me a believer.http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=762

I have always preferred the standard load with either 2 oz of #6 or #7 shot but these shells won me over.

I also shared some of these shells with a man who's been shooting Magnum Blend shells since they were introduced and asked him to shoot a few and let me know what he thought. He also had great patterns but his main comment was the how much less recoil he felt from them.

Whatever they've done, I like it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

gatrkyhntr70

Clark, that was a heck of a pattern! I will probably be going back to the 3" shell after seeing your results!
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

allaboutshooting

Quote from: gatrkyhntr70 on June 08, 2015, 04:08:35 PM
Clark, that was a heck of a pattern! I will probably be going back to the 3" shell after seeing your results!

It was also very consistent both in pattern and in POI which is very important to me.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

WiLL B