OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Closest yet

Started by ruination, May 23, 2015, 10:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruination

Last day of the season was today.  My third season ever, and still no turkey to show for it.  Regardless I have been hooked on the gobble.

Today I has a special draw for some public land that only got hunted twice a week for the season.  Could hear for miles this morning but nothing gobbling close.  So I began wandering around looking for signs.  Looks like I drew the worste area on the map because I can't find a scratch.  Finally I find a feather and a bunch if scratches, I set up and begin a soft calling routine on my slate.  After about 30 minutes I pack up my slate pull out my mouth call and do some really fast yelping and holy  I got an actual answer.  This goes on for a bit until it sounds like he's coming closer so I shut up.  I see him finally to my left about 80 yards, I start shaking from adrenaline.  Of course he doesn't come in though he crosses in front of me working closer fanning then gobbling the whole way.  He ends up 30 yards on my far right and I'm no lefty.  He jerked around out there for ten minutes then turns like he might decide to walk away.  I give a shitty cluck he ignores it and does the turkey magic trick of just disappearing.  I am incredibly disappointed but at the same time I'm psyched i even got that close. Till next season I guess, damn.

Thanks for letting me vent.
.410 Favors the Bold

Tail Feathers

Man you are all over it.  Got everything down except the trigger pull!   ;D
Put in your  scouting time, practice the calling and keep after 'em next spring!
It will happen, I'm betting on it. :icon_thumright:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

mgm1955

Exciting hunt!! It'll happen if you keep after them.

Dtrkyman

go to the range with some dove loads and practice left handed!  I am ambidextrous and have shot birds either way!

kyturkeyhunter4

Dont give up hang in there, it will happen.

crow

Quote from: Dtrkyman on May 24, 2015, 10:36:03 AM
go to the range with some dove loads and practice left handed!  I am ambidextrous and have shot birds either way!

^^ This is well worth doing, it will pay off sometime
plenty of time to practice before next season

congrats on your close encounter, very rewarding to be that close

Onpoint

Amen
there was a period of a few years that pops shot more left handed than he did right handed.

my wife is an amazing shot in good conditions. I'm going to yank her scope off or buy another gun for her one and have her practice offhand shots, shots in thick woods and also shooting left handed. She's killed a truck load of gobblers but there's also been a couple that if she could had switched over to left hand she would have killed.

sounds like a petty dang good way to end the season if ya ask me

edp427

Keep at it. It took 5 years to get my dad a turkey. All public land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruination

Left handed waterfowl season!

Honestly if it was half the distance or little less thick area I would have been fine going lefty.
.410 Favors the Bold

K9Doc

You tricked him!!! The adrenalin rush ends
When u pull the trigger. That was a successful hunt!
Bird on ur back or not! 
Great job!
Thanks for sharing.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

catman529

You come that close you will kill one for sure. Maybe next year, glad you had a good hunt despite not pulling the trigger.

Sent from the talk of tap

RIStrutStopper

I don't know how many hunts I've messed up because the bird stayed to my right and I either didn't switch to shooting lefty (and I've got a dominant left eye) or I didn't trust myself to swing on him and shoot. You got the hard part done, bringing him into range, the rest was the luck of the draw. This year I had 2 birds come in from my right and the only thing that brought them to where I was able to take them was my decoy which I had positioned off to my left. The decoy did its job.

SteelerFan

I got excited just reading that... I bet your heart was pounding!! That's awesome. Just like others said - you did the hard part, getting a gobbler inside 40. You'll get-r-done!!!

dutch@fx4

I would get some dove loads and go to the range sit down as you would well hunting and practice raising  your gun and shooting as smooth as you can ,,some times you just have to raise up and shoot the bird ,I have been cought with my gun in my lap to many times .lol so know when you think you have the shot you just have to go for it kind of let instinct take over .I have killed a ton of birds this way .it is nice when you know were thy are coming from and can have the gun up and ready but this is not always the case .practise shooting this way and it will become second nature ..if you do not shoot you will not be carrying a bird out over your shoulder ,,Dutch

Greg Massey

Nothing like turkey hunting..if that turkey will gobble it will raise the hair on the back of your neck....learning from spending time in the woods is one of the best ways to learn... also take this from a old turkey hunter turkeys don't always leave a lot of sign....and have lots of Patience ... as I tell people why get up drive 30 min to hour or more to want to leave the woods at 8:30 to go back home or to get a biscuit ... always have a bottle of water and jerky and peanut butter crackers in your vest... if you put in the road time you will be successful ...good luck..
Get him next time...