OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

need help ID'ing some wood....

Started by mastevt, May 23, 2015, 06:34:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mastevt

I was in Hawaii back in 2012 and bought a small log of what I was told was Koa, but this isn't Koa.  Can anyone help id this.  I'm thinking it might be Milo.

KentuckyHeadhunter

I'm sure someone else on here may know but you are right that its likely not koa.  When I spent time doing research in the south pacific I noticed a lot of carvers were using a wood they called kerosene wood and it looked a lot like this. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

KentuckyHeadhunter

Here is an example of a bowl carved from kerosene wood and oiled.  Not totally sure if this is it though.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

jjnfla

mastevt

I'm  almost 100% certain it is Koa.  I did alot of research on the web, and found several sites that showed some pics of koa with the same coloration as my pieces.  Several of those sites were retailers in Hawaii.  Apparently koa has a wide spectrum of color.  Most of it is a more darker reddish color.  I found pics of the bark too, and it was virtually the same as the bark on my piece.  Seemed like most of the stuff I saw for sale on the web was highly figured stuff.  Also found out there is 3 different grading levels, which all 3 grade the figure.  My stuff doesn't have any figure, but the grain is awesome.   Thanks for all the input.