turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

looks like I am pretty committed now

Started by Rick Howard, May 21, 2015, 04:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Howard

A few months back I got the idea in my head I might try and improve my pattern.  I say I am fully commited because I spent $45 last night on the idea.  I will elaborate. 

I have a Rem 870 Express Magnum 20ga.  I have been shooting the gun since my father gave it to me when I was 10. 

A few years back I picked up a Rem X Full Turkey choke and Rem Nirto Turkey #5's.  I checked it at 30 yards and things looked good to me.  Pattern center and bulk were inline with my bead.  I did not count the number or pellets.  The turkey head was obviously dead.  I called it good.   

Currently,  Pretty much all I have been able to find locally for turkey killin ammo is The Remington Nitro Turkey #5 and Hevi Mag Blend.  I scooped up a Tru-Glo Gobbler Stopper choke and The Hevi Mag Blends last night.  This afternoon I sneaked out for a little shootin.  I shot all the possible (no hevi in the rem choke) combos at 20 and 40 yards.   Pretty much identical.  The Rem Turkey choke and tru glo chokes shot the rem nitro #5's the same.  The Hevi Shot Mag Blends in the Tru-Glo choke has a center mass low and left. 

So all this is going somewhere.  I got thinking on my way home... I am confident in killing at bird at 40 yards with what I have now.  I am certain that past that the odds of killing go down exponentially.  I am not sure there is better for me with this gun and if there is at what cost and effort?  It dawned on me that I should have been a little more precise and counted pellets in the 10" circle.   Is there a resource I can read about patterning shot guns in particular for turkey hunting?  Also on how shotguns work?  I would like to do a little research to help me make some choices.   

albrubacker

The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

mikejd

All the resources you need are right here on this site.

As for your selection. It was a fair choice but if you would have asked a few questions here first I feel you could have done much better. Those rem nitro's are garbage in my eyes. Im sure someone likes them but as for me they are junk.
the mag blends are quality rounds and if that is the beat you have access to I would begin there.

Do some searching and you will realize this site is a bundle of knowledge when it comes to turkey guns.

Rick Howard

Thank you for the replies fellas.

It did occur to me to ask recommendations of choke and shell.  Before doing so I did a little research and it appears there are a lot of answers to that question.  I bought these on a semi impulse buy.  I find the mag blends at all the stores around here so I know I am looking for a choke that will shoot them well, from my gun.  I would have rather opted for a primos tightwad but they were sold out of those at this place.  I am going to try walmart tonight.     

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: mikejd on May 21, 2015, 04:42:25 PM
All the resources you need are right here on this site.

the mag blends are quality rounds and if that is the beat you have access to I would begin there.

Do some searching and you will realize this site is a bundle of knowledge when it comes to turkey guns.

^ It's all right here. Plain as the nose on your face. :funnyturkey: Good luck Rick. You will get her shooting real well. Use the search engine. I don't have an 870 but I know from reading here the 870 and the rem super full choke with fed7s is bad news for turkeys   :OGturkeyhead:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Rick Howard

I was under the impression that my remember choke would not shoot the fed hw because it's a lead only choke.... is that incorrect?

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

CB on the run

Quote from: Rick Howard on May 22, 2015, 08:28:49 PM
I was under the impression that my remember choke would not shoot the fed hw because it's a lead only choke.... is that incorrect?
Means no steel.  I've been shooting Federal HW, Hevi-shot & Nitro's( Hevi-shot also loaded to different specs) through my 'lead only' since 2008 with no ill effects.  Probably over 100 rounds now.  Keep the Rem lead shells for the fall and consider sights or a red dot for that gun.