OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Has your NY turkey season got better?

Started by NYlogbeards, May 19, 2015, 05:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYlogbeards

Turkeys still silenter than rock here, the last two days one gobbler will come to the edge of the ridge and gobble twice around 8 am, he doesn't make a peep on the roost or any other time besides around 8am. i'm gonna set up on that ridge but not too hopeful beacause i always change my strategy and the turkeys seem to change theirs as well, one good sign is that all the gobblers are alone and Hens are on the nest but the Toms just aren't responding. So hows your season been getting any better/worse/same?

callmakerman

The birds in my area have been very tight lipped and there seems to be a lot fewer birds. I really do believe that we had more die off this winter with the harsh cold temps and snow.

tomstopper

In my area, it seems as though things are picking up. Had one gobbling on Sunday until another hunter slipped in between me and the bird and shot him (got to love public hunting). This morning I was able to call in a nice one for my nephew to 40 yards where he got gobbler fever and missed him.....lol. Hope the end of the week is good when I can chase them again.

NYlogbeards

If you don't mind, what county do you guys hunt in? I'm in Oswego County and i just want to see if its wide spread across new york or just certain areas.

CrustyRusty

tomstopper

BABS9

Im in Niagara County and it has gotten worse. Haven't even heard a gobble over the past 5 days. A week and a half ago in one of my spots we hear 4 different gobblers.

letinmfly

I've been hunting in Sullivan county.  The first few days of the season was extremely good with both hens and toms talking up a storm.  Most talking I have heard in years.
Birds have quieted down considerably as I hunted this weekend and heard one bird and managed to call one in for my nephew.  This bird came in silent and he had a hen with him.  Unfortunately my nephew missed him.  Gonna hunt Thursday and Friday and I'll be looking to fill my second tag.
The toms should be active as I've seen quite a few lone hens in the woods and while driving around.
There's always hope as long as the season is open!!  :icon_thumright:
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

Terry

I tagged out Saturday on a decent tom. I called one in for my buddy on Sunday, his first ever turkey. Also seen two others in full strut while driving. By far my best weekend so far.

I am in Oswego and Cayuga counties

NYlogbeards

So it's definitely wide spread silence, but also random too, thinking the weather has something to do with the hamper on these birds.

callmakerman

Oneida Co. and I'm hoping tomorrow is better but like Lou says there's always hope with the season open. Hunting PA this holiday weekend.

Rick Howard

I've hunted Genesee, Livingston, and Alegany counties.  The first few days I had gobbling but it's tapered off to nothing.  The last few days have been silent.  The good news is, I'm seeing birds.  They have come in silent and at awkward angles leaving me empty.

njdevilsb

I'm in Jefferson County and they were still not very vocal as of last weekend.  We'll get maybe 10 gobbles total on the roost from 2 or 3 birds and then that's it.  They are very henned up still as well.  I am going down tonight to scout and see what's around and maybe take the morning off from work if it looks good.

I pretty much know where they are consistently exiting the field each morning so I'm hoping I have them figured out as well as I think I do.

WNY Bowhunter

I haven't been out since sunday but plan on taking my wife out and hunting with a buddy of mine over the long weekend...
"I'm not from New Yawk.  I'm a REDNECK from Western New York!!!"
"It's not a passion. It's an OBSESSION."

njdevilsb

We went out this morning to try a quick hunt before work since I had seen a tom on our piece last night.  Apparently when I saw him last night he just kept going to the neighbors property.  He sounded off maybe 15 times between 5:15 and flydown, which is usually around 5:45 for the birds we have been hunting.  He was a ways off and shut up once he was on the ground, as usual.  We had to leave around 7 and the woods had been quiet with no sightings for over an hour.