only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what is your cut off range?

Started by knightrider, February 09, 2011, 02:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightrider

runngun

3 yards is close enough, no further than 40
Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Reloader

Prefer 30-45, but wouldn't hesitate out to 65 if the conditions were right and I didn't feel he was getting any closer.  I haven't killed one past 35 in years.  I've witnessed some pretty long kills, but find they usually come on in if you are set up in the right spot.  Most of the places I hunt require fairly close shots and even when I hunt fields I try to set up near funnels. 

joshua

Shot a couple in the 50 yd. range but would prefer 30-40 yds.  But as much as we talk about it on here I would hate to be 70 yds. away(if I was a turkey) from some of these guys the way their guns shoot.
Turkeys are as smart as hunters make em and public land offers more classes.
George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

I hate turkeys

I like them at about 35 yards it hard to move my field piece around. If I get them closer I'm usually just playing with them and let'em walk.
I Killed one a few years back at 50 yards, after the shot I noticed a hole in the weeds and vines I had been sitting in.
I'm going back over to the 10 ga board now.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

ClayW

I like them under 10....strictly bow hunting here

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

3" 870 Shell Shucker

12 Gauge 90 Yards
20 Gauge 70 Yards
Yeah........I wish. :TooFunny:

12 Gauge 50 Yards
20 Gauge 40 Yards

VAHUNTER

i like 20 to 30 yds. but if i can see his eyes i can kill him
Good things come to those who wait

1esso

50, if its lasered to be exact, but prefer 25-35. But absolutely no more than 50.

redarrow

40 yards. Cause I haven't patterned beyond that.

hobbes

If they're past 85 I like to shoot three rounds really fast that way its  a huge string of shot.  If you shoot fast enough its almost like one shot.  I do all that with #8 lead dove loads.

FANMAN

In my HEAD...my limit is 40yds........but my gun is good to 50....because my head gets a little excited sometimes and isn't always accurate.

pullit

closer is better but 45-50 is as far as I want to try.

njdevilsb

Quote from: hobbes on February 10, 2011, 10:13:41 AM
If they're past 85 I like to shoot three rounds really fast that way its  a huge string of shot.  If you shoot fast enough its almost like one shot.  I do all that with #8 lead dove loads.

A fully auto shotgun might do the trick.  You could basically throw a 10.5" shell at them if you wanted to if it shot quick enough.  I bet your shoulder would feel it though.

I've only checked my patterns out to 40 yards and I have a good killing pattern with both my 12 and my 20 at that range.  The farthest I have ever killed a turkey was 37 steps, but most have been within 25 yards.

Skeeterbait

I try hard not to pull the trigger on a bird outside of 40 yards.  The gun is capable of further but you are getting a lot of shot in the breast meat out that far.  I may misjudge once in a while but I purposefully try to range landmarks with a laser range finder ahead of time if time permits.