turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

what is your cut off range?

Started by knightrider, February 09, 2011, 02:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightrider

how far will you limit yourself to shooting at a turkey? my personal limit is 45 yards and like them 20-25 yards. :fud:

turkey_slayer

As far as my pattern holds up  :icon_thumright: The closest I want one is 30 yards cause any closer and the pattern starts getting really tight.  I try to set up to where I cant see him and he cant see me till he gets to about 40 yards. Shot one at 6 steps one time and it was nasty!

stinkpickle

Whatever I guess is about 40-45 yards.

TScottW99

40 yards.  Though my furthest shot is 38 yards.  I much prefer 25 yards and where I hunt in the mountains of Virginia that is very doable.  Set up is the key when hunting the steep ridges.
"What gets us jangly is the suddenness of everything. We hunt turkeys because we want to hear them gobble, watch them strut and all that, and we hunt them with shotguns because we want to be close to them when those things occur." - Jim Spencer

Gobble!

ElkTurkMan

mcgruff1533

Around 40-45 yards.    I set my decoys at 25-30 yards and like to keep my shots inside that range.     I haven't pattern tested beyond 40 yards, so I don't think it's very ethical to shoot much beyond the 40 yard mark.

BurrisOptics

It depends on how many days I have left to fill my tag.  ;D

yukonhunter

www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com      GIANT Alaskan Malamutes
http://www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com

4nwtf

I will probably catch grief for this but longest was 78 yards with several over 70.   That being said I pattern and know my equipment.  I like them 35-50 yards.

savduck

55 yards. Dont like to shoot them that far but I have guns that can do it and if the situation is right, I wont hesitate to shoot.
Georgia Boy

devin4484

50y in an open field and 40y to me is pushing it in woods depending on cover.  But I let em keep coming until they start sweating and fill em up.

jakesdad

45 with the 12 35 with the 20.I like em between 20-25yds.I still shoot lead in 12 and 20 so I like em close.I think I've only killed one bird over 40 and it was like 42-43yds. your patterns are unbelievable!!Good work on all that handloading TSS and having the brains to put it all together to perform like you do.My hats off to you sir.You are probably the only person I know who could shoot a turkey at 70+yds and roll em like most people do at 40.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Expressjet

maustypsu

200-250 depending on which rifle I have in my hands.