OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Strutting Hen

Started by JK Spurs, May 17, 2015, 10:30:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JK Spurs

Have you guys witnessed this? I was out yesterday trying to fill my second PA tag...no luck but I called a hen in who decided to hang out with me for over an hour. Every time she would start to leave I'd give a few yelps and purrs and right back she would come. At one point, she was so close I thought she was going to step on my boot....then she started cutting hard and went into strut! Pretty cool sight...first for me.
I like my turkey well peppered

jepcho

I've seen it once, actually got it on video.  However, she didn't go to what I would call full strut.  Fairly close though.  It was pretty cool.  Sounds like it would've been alot of fun to be with you.  Very cool to witness something like that.  Thats part of what makes turkey hunting so fun, you never know what you are going to see.

Terry

I watched a hen go into full strut and gobble several times. She was only ten yards away! I don't know who was more confused, me or her.

Greg Massey

Yes ive saw hens strutting several times.. I always called them gay hens...lol

TrackeySauresRex

Once I had a bird come in half stut ,with the worst gobble you could possible imagine. After close examination The HE was a SHE. So hens do... Or so call, try to gobble. Witnessed once.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

K9Doc

I spotted a strutter once in a food plot.
Had about 8" beard. I belly crawled to within
75 yards. A few yelps and clucks he was headed my way

Disappeared in the thick stuff. Seen the strutter at 35 yards.
Cluck. Cluck. Kaboom!!!
He was a she!!!!!
No spurs. Nice beard. I was very upset about it tho
Never would have shot her.
Be the type of person your dog thinks you are.

mgm1955

I'm sure it was a cool sight! Get any pics?

JK Spurs

Quote from: mgm1955 on May 17, 2015, 12:03:35 PM
I'm sure it was a cool sight! Get any pics?
No pics...my phone was in my vest and that hen was practically in my lap so I couldn't move. After an hour plus, she was out of site so I moved up the hill a few hundred yards to try a different spot and guess what...started calling and here she comes! Bird followed me around like a puppy.
I like my turkey well peppered

Will

I've seen it several times. Seems like a sign of aggression when I've seen it.

101st501

I have only seen one with a beard.  I wonder if she would strut.

sps20

Bearded hens are fairly common. About 8 to 10 %
here in Pa. Struttin hens I've only seen two in 50
years of turkey hunting. I agree on the agression
part. Both were flat mad! :turkey2:
Regards
sps20

I hate turkeys

I had one strutting once she would turn her head from blue to white. Never gobbled or returned my call
came in 100 yds strutting most of the way.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

nativeks

taylorjones20

I don't have any pics but I have seen 2 hens strutting. Both in Middle TN. One last year and one this year. Neither had beards. Full Strut. Crazy.  Did see a bearded hen last week though...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Chilly

Seen it one time last year.  Called this hen in that had been yelping back at me and to be honest, she sounded so bad, I though it was a hunter.  She came in to our decoy and started immediately strutting.  What she did next really threw me for a loop.  She gobbled.  Did not sound anything like a gobbler but if I hadn't see it with my own two eyes at 20 yards I wouldn't have believed it.  She hung around for another 10 minutes and slowly left.  Pretty weird.
Can't kill'em from the couch!!!!