OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Striker modification???

Started by Terry, May 15, 2015, 08:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry

I just received 4 strikers made by Fred Cox. The problem is only one will play on my Twisted Sister. Is there anything I can do to make them work? I have never had a striker just not make noise before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mastevt

Is there finger oils on the tip?  Did you try sanding the tip with like 120 grit paper?

Terry

No there's not, and yes I did

SteelerFan

Alcohol prep swab on the tip to remove any oils (wood or hand) let dry, and followed by fine sand paper in the palm of your hand and spin tip while lightly pressing (keeps shape).

mastevt

just curious, do they work ok on any of your other calls?

Terry

Quote from: mastevt on May 16, 2015, 08:29:22 AM
just curious, do they work ok on any of your other calls?

Great question! I just tried it on another crystal call, a Yngling glass, and an old Quaker Boy slate. I couldn't get a sound out of the slate and struggled to get any on the other two. Did I get faulty strikers??? Seems really strange.

mastevt

I wouldn't think so.  Gotta be something on how your holding it and your technique on the surface.  You got a pic of the ones your having trouble with, and or video of you playing it.  I assume your crystal surface is conditioned fine since you can play it with another striker.  try loosening up your grip on it.

outdoors

SOUNDS LIKE ITS JUST THE WOOD , MAYBE THERES A NOT JUST UNDER THE OUTER LAYER OR
SOME OTHER IMPERFECTTON ..
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

mastevt

Quote from: outdoors on May 16, 2015, 11:22:00 AM
SOUNDS LIKE ITS JUST THE WOOD , MAYBE THERES A NOT JUST UNDER THE OUTER LAYER OR
SOME OTHER IMPERFECTTON ..

not likely since he's having trouble with multiple strikers.  I'm leaning toward the conditioning on the surface and the holding/technique.  Sure would love to have them in my hands to figure it out for him.

Terry

If it's my technique that doesn't mesh with these strikers, I'll probably end up selling them.

outdoors

I RECEIVED A COCOBOLO STRIKER ALITTLE WHILE AGO AND THERES ONE SPOT THAT I GET NOTHING
I CONDITION IT AND I ANGLE IT AND THAT ONE SPOT IS DEAD , THATS THE ONLY STRIKER THAT IVE GOTTEN THAT DOES THIS  ???
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

TauntoHawk

I have had two cocobolo strikers and they both seemed to not ever have any grip it seemed to be an oily wood.

I would try the alcohol swab and sanding see what that gets you.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jbird

I had the same issue with some strikers from Fred also and I ended up lightly sanding the tips and cleaned with denatured alcohol several times letting it dry and reapply several times And that worked for me. You can also put some box call chalk on the tip after doing this and it helps.

Terry

I will try cleaning them more with alcohol.
For those interested, they are bocote, padauk, canary wood, and dymondwood.

mastevt

the DW should play with minimal dressing on the peg.  I use 120 grit.  as for Bacote, it's got a lot of oils in it's natural wood.  Possibly the cause,  not sure on the other two.  I've made Paduck pegs, and didn't have problems.  Never used canarywood.