turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old school success.

Started by racks, May 14, 2015, 11:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

racks

Someone had a thread last yr about going old school. I decided the last day of season I'd take out my Great Grandfathers Winchester mod 37. Only heard 1 bird gobbling, but it was closing the distance. Finally, he stepped into the field and within a few minutes, the old gun thundered and it was over. Not a huge bird, but by far one of the best I've killed, only because of the circumstances. 15yds, 19 lbs, 10" beard, 7/8" spurs.

mikejd

Thats the way to do it. Congrats. Nice bird.

Terry

BandedSpur

Very cool. I assume the gun is full choke? What shell did you use?

longislandloco

So much for the hype..........I need camo guns, I need special loads, I need special chokes, we just turn everything we enjoy into a spending fest, LOL.

Very nice gun, nice bird, good for you!
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe

lowoctane

When it comes down to it, the gun usually doesn't make much difference. . . :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Izzyjoe

Good job! Nice to see an old gun make meat! You're great grandfather would be proud!

owlhoot

jepcho

outdoors

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS PAYED OFF  :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

gatrkyhntr70

<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

Very nice work. Old school guns are part of the hunt for me personally. My first shotgun was a Winchester 37 12ga. so I have a soft spot for them. A couple years ago I bought a 37 in 16ga. that looked like it was never used, only stored in a closet for the past 70 years. It is the best patterning shotgun I own (& I have a lot of shotguns) with anything you throw down the bore.

racks

Federal Heavy field loads, #6, in 2 3/4".  As for the choke, it just says "CHOKE" on the bbl. I checked the pattern, figured it was a 20 yd gun, 25 yd at most. 
This gun was given to my Uncle, by his Grandfather, upon his return from Vietnam.  My uncle has since passed, and my aunt gave it to me.  She told me the only wild game my Uncle ever killed w/ it was a mole, blew it 15' in the air.

"choke" marking on the barrel does indeed mean full choke. old guns were sometimes marked or called  "choke" (full), 1/2 choke (mod.), 1/4 choke (IC)

longislandloco

Your 100% right on the choke info.
"A man ought to have a good shotgun, needn't be an expensive shotgun, just a good shotgun".....Old Moe