OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

All around striker

Started by philbilly223, May 14, 2015, 07:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Howard

Purpleheart or Dymondwood.

philbilly223

Seems like dymondwood is the one!  Are there good field grade strikers for under $10 in dymondwood?  Not looking for fancy just function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Onpoint

Quote from: philbilly223 on May 26, 2015, 01:32:59 PM
Seems like dymondwood is the one!  Are there good field grade strikers for under $10 in dymondwood?  Not looking for fancy just function.

Probably not.

Dymondwood is expensive and no longer manufactured.
Derrick Stuckey makes a fine dymondwood for around $25 as does bill lyman (callmakerman). I think bills are around $20, but I could be wrong.

steve torman will be the next striker I have but his are a little more costly.

Stuckey, lyman, halloran, dads, woodhaven laminate oak and birch are all good choices.

cutt down

Larry Gresser with prairie game calls or Fred Cox with Grand Slam Turkey Calls would be 2 that make reasonably priced dymondwood strikers. Both have websites.

Jbird22

Tulipwood and Canarywood are both good all around strikers.

SteelerFan

Quote from: SteelerFan on May 14, 2015, 08:15:16 PM
If I HAD to pick just one... Tulipwood. Seems to be able to play on everything across the board - including the slate. Diamondwood is a close second. Haven't had the privilege to run a snakewood or black locust (yet), but they both get lots of love too.

**UPDATE** I recently picked up a black locust striker from Steve @ West Augusta - and it has become my favorite and most versatile - slate, glass, crystal, titanium. Other threads have asked the "if you could only pick one pot call" question, and I could honestly say it wouldn't matter...as long as I had this striker!

Terry

Does Steve have a website?

Hankyorke

Quote from: SteelerFan on June 05, 2015, 09:52:09 AM
Quote from: SteelerFan on May 14, 2015, 08:15:16 PM
If I HAD to pick just one... Tulipwood. Seems to be able to play on everything across the board - including the slate. Diamondwood is a close second. Haven't had the privilege to run a snakewood or black locust (yet), but they both get lots of love too.

**UPDATE** I recently picked up a black locust striker from Steve @ West Augusta - and it has become my favorite and most versatile - slate, glass, crystal, titanium. Other threads have asked the "if you could only pick one pot call" question, and I could honestly say it wouldn't matter...as long as I had this striker!
Yep!

davisd9

Yellowheart, purpleheart, monkeywood.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

SteelerFan

Quote from: Terry on June 05, 2015, 12:31:33 PM
Does Steve have a website?
You can contact him direct here on this site - send him a PM @ West Augusta

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,49827.msg496524.html#msg496524

greentag

derrick stuckey massacar ebony,it may cost alot but it feels and sounds awsome,especially on slate,but it seems like it runs anything good.gonna get an extra, one of these days just incase.....

philbilly223

So I settled on dymondwood, Purple Heart and black locus. I got them from Rick Howard. He was a pleasure to deal with and I would absolutely do business with him again!  Here is a pic of the strikers. They look great and feel good in hand. Can't wait to try them out!

mmclain

mgm1955

Rick Howard

Thank you for the compliments.  I am very glad you like them.