turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question About Aluminum Pot Calls

Started by kjnengr, May 13, 2015, 09:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjnengr

I understand the maintenance differences between anodized vs raw aluminum pot call surfaces, but I have never used one of either variety and I have some questions. 

Anodized - Does the surface ever get too "slick" to sound like it is supposed to?  Does the anodiization ever wear off from normal use? 

Raw - How does the raw sanded surface treat strikers?  Is it tough on them? Will I have to condition my striker any more or less often than the anodized surface?  Does the aluminum actually wear the striker down?

Any other differences I should know of?  Which would you rather - raw or anodized?

scoot12

For anodized surfaces,  if surface gets a little slick you will want to clean it with an alcohol pad,  you can get these at pharmacy stores,  some anodized surfaces just need this to keep them running great.  Other anodized surfaces might need a little roughing up with a green or brown scotchbrite pad.  This all depends on call.  As for raw aluminum surfaces,  the key is keeping your striker tip clean and they run really good.  I just use green scotcbrite pads for these surfaces.  Scoot

kjnengr

Do you have to recondition the striker any more or less with the raw aluminum?

scoot12

Houndstooth Game Calls

If it's aluminum I put a conditioning stone on it! Even if it's anodized or not I know that's not what they tell you to do but that's what I do. Either way alcohol pad or conditioning stone works. I like the conditioning stone jmo..

grayfox

Me personally I like raw aluminum the best.  I just prefer the way they run better. Mostly all I do is rub the aluminum surface with some scotch brite & every so often you have to sand the striker lightly with some sand paper.  Another aluminum call that I like that is not raw aluminum is one made by Gary at Magnolia calls which has what I believe is a green anodized surface.  It plays really well, sounds great & requires very little maintenance.  Mostly just clean with alcohol. All anodized surfaces are not the same & some will not grab worth a hoot.  Check before you buy.