OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New pot, help me decide

Started by bunk, May 06, 2015, 01:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bunk

Wanting to get a new crystal pot. I have a WH cherry classic now and really like it but I've been wanting a Darrin Dawkins pot for a while now just haven't dropped the money for it. Also see a lot of talk about Paul Platz and Jimmy Schaffer. I did get a crystal mistress and sold it. It was a good call but it was a clearer call than my WH and I like a little rasp. With that being said the twisted sister may be an option but I'm leaning towards the Dawkins. What do you like?

BABS9

Twisted sister is an awesome call. Bit more rasp than the mistress.

Jbird22

Twisted Sister has PLENTY of rasp if that's what you're looking for. For me, I prefer a little clearer sound and the Schaffer's Mad Hen 2 is the call that suits me. It's all about personal preference. I have the WH Cherry Classic Crystal, TS, and Mad Hen 2. To me, the WH CCC is noticeably the clearest of those three while the TS is the raspiest. The Mad Hen 2 is happy medium between the two IMO. Some others might want to weigh in on where the original Mad Hen would fit in. I don't own one and have never ran one so I'm no help there. I've also never owned/ran a Dawkins either.

Tennessee Lead

My Twisted Sister has a lot of Rasp that's why I bought it. You won't be disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker

Bowguy

Which striker did ya use on the Mistress? Mine is plenty raspy. Schafer will run calls for you on phone so you can hear them

PALongspur

Mark Cornelius cherry crystal over glass.

'Nuff said.

bunk

Used a dymondwood striker. It's not that it wasn't raspy it just wasn't what my cherry classic has. I know Woodhaven don't get a lot of prase on here but I really like mine. Just thought I would buy something new and see how it compares. I'm no collector so If it don't suit my ears I'll probably sell it sooner or later. I did the same thing with duck calls. I would buy a call or two every year only to sale it because I liked my Echo call better. I blew that old Echo for years until I bought a JJ Lares and now it's the one. Guess I'm looking to find the new "one" crystal call but for now it's my cherry classic. I did run a Vintage Hen at Nashville the year it came out and really liked it but it's out of my price range.

Bowguy

I don't know bout other guys. I think Woodhaven is decent. Love a few of the mouth calls but I like buying shells too. Woodhaven is just out of what I comsider a good price range. Bet other guys feel the same

bunk

Quote from: Bowguy on May 06, 2015, 09:35:11 PM
I don't know bout other guys. I think Woodhaven is decent. Love a few of the mouth calls but I like buying shells too. Woodhaven is just out of what I comsider a good price range. Bet other guys feel the same
I agree. I got mine on sale for $50.