OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lightweight turkey guns

Started by mossyman, May 04, 2015, 03:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossyman

I'm wanting to build a lightweight turkey rig for next year. I want to stay around the 5.5 or 6 pound mark. Does anyone have any suggestions for a gun to start with. If you have such a gun could you post a pic of it. 

deadbuck

If you are thinking about a 20 ga, look under that forum on here about the weatherby sa459. Also, there is a nice writeup about this gun on OldGobbler.com

FL-Boss

stick with a 20ga for lightweight... and yes.. Weatherby SA-459 is hard to beat.

allaboutshooting

A 20 gauge Benelli M2 would meet those specifications.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mossyman

I was really thinking a single shot. Have seen some on this sight and like the way they look. I already have a New England 20 I could send off to get fixed up. Would this be a good choice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drum817

"Freedom Has Never Been Free"

natman

Mossberg 500 12 ga, 20" barrel. Just under 6 lbs. Fiber optic sights, camo, nice soft recoil pad.

lowoctane

Quote from: mossyman on May 04, 2015, 06:38:49 PM
I was really thinking a single shot. Have seen some on this sight and like the way they look. I already have a New England 20 I could send off to get fixed up. Would this be a good choice?

NEF in 20 ga. Check the 20 ga threads...William at Sumtoy builds guns right and reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

howl

natman, did you weigh that 500 yourself? Is it a newer one? I'd like one at that weight, but I'm not sure how to get one there. Mine weighs almost seven in that configuration. Mine is an older one, though. Just the recoil pads weighs over 1/3 of a pound.

natman

Quote from: howl on May 06, 2015, 01:15:58 PM
natman, did you weigh that 500 yourself? Is it a newer one? I'd like one at that weight, but I'm not sure how to get one there. Mine weighs almost seven in that configuration. Mine is an older one, though. Just the recoil pads weighs over 1/3 of a pound.

Yes, I did weigh it myself and yes, it is a relatively new model (bought new in 2008, can't believe that's now seven years ago!). My older Mossberg 500 with a synthetic stock and a 20" barrel weighs almost seven lbs just like yours. The newer gun has a much lighter stock and recoil pad.

howl

thanks. I'll have to check one out.

natman

Quote from: howl on May 06, 2015, 10:41:04 PM
thanks. I'll have to check one out.

I reweighed it and realized that I'd been working on the barrel when I first weighed it and had removed the barrel screw and choke tube. With those installed it weighs 6 lbs, 2 oz. That's still considerably less than the older model 500.

Otdrzman

I have a Franchi Affinity 20 with a Burris FF3 and 336 mount. With the sling on the gun and loaded with three rounds of Hevishot #7's it weighs 6 lbs 13 ozs.  :z-twocents:

doublemag

I have a 3.5" 12 gauge NEF single that's about 5 lbs.  You'd be surprised what those counter weights in the butt stock weigh.  I'm not saying it won't kick like a mule but who cares when your squeezing off on a turkey!!! :turkey2:

howl

I wouldn't be surprised if a 3.5" shell out of a 5# gun actually physically damaged someone.