turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

first time tagging out for my dad…5-4-15

Started by Vaturkeyhntr, May 04, 2015, 02:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaturkeyhntr

Me and my dad went out to a farm we hunt in Prince William County this morning in hopes of him getting his 3rd bird.  We started off at the farm where I killed my 3rd bird and didn't hear a peep, I did call in a lone hen right after fly down but she soon faded off.  After giving it a little bit of time, it was around 7 and we decided to head to the other farm down the street in hopes of out smarting a big bird we had seen a few days prior.  We got to the far back fields of the farm that border a large creek bottom, I was planning on setting a lone DSD hen out but when we left the trucks I accidently grabbed the jake instead.  We got to the area we had seen the bird a few days prior and I set out the jake by himself hoping he didn't shy away from it like he did the other day.  Not long after we set up we had a hen enter the field and begin feeding towards us, she soon ended up about 10 yards in front of us for about 20 minutes feeding.  After she went away we both settled back into the fence line and got comfortable.  It was about 9:15 when I looked up and saw the bird we were after standing right where we had been sitting a few days prior.  I told my dad I could see him and he was coming, the bird soon came into our field and began pecking his way through the field.  Soon he came up onto a high spot in the field and spotted the lone jake decoy, he stretched his neck about as far as he could looking at the jake before dropping back down and continuing our direction.  The bird then got to where he could see the decoy really well and stopped and stretched up again, I was worried he would shy away again but I soon felt good when he dropped down and went into strut.  GAME ON!!!!  I told my dad he was on a string and coming fast, the bird broke strut and started the "mean walk" right at the jake looking to put a hurtin on him when I gave my dad the ok and he ended his season with his first ever 3 bird season.

From not killing a long beard since 2002 and passing up numerous birds so I could shoot over the years, we are both tagged out together and this makes #9 I have seen die this year.  We still have about 2 weeks left in the season so ill be taking others out and try and up that number.

And what a bird to end it on #24.7 lbs, 10 inch beard, 1 1/8 sharp spurs...

]
[url=http://[URL=http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/booth21/media/IMG_0998.jpg.html]]

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Jbird22

That's awesome! I'd say this year will make for some long-lasting memories for the two of you!

kyturkeyhunter4

alloutdoors

owlhoot

tomstopper

Awesome. Congrats to you and your dad....

beagler

Never Misses

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

ncturkey

stinkpickle

Greg Massey

Tennessee Lead

Congrats to you both!

Sent from my iPhone that I ain't smart enough to use with tapatalker