turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

glass vs crystal

Started by skimerhorn, May 04, 2015, 02:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skimerhorn

Thinking of trying  a glass or crystal call, was wondering which one you guys would go with? Just looking for something new to add to the vest. Thanks.

BABS9

Crystal Mistress. Its my favorite call!

Bowguy

I dig the mistress pretty good too but it's a toss up between that n a mad hen

scoot12

I am going to throw out a few awesome calls in my opinion,  for glass a Mark Cornelius cherry or any wood from what I hear,  if you are willing to wait Paul Platz walnut glass over slate is great as well.  For crystal the mad hen 2 is a little clearer sounding then the original mad hen if thats what you are looking for.  Any of Dustin Jones glass calls are really good also.  A new call I just got is crazy good and its made by a young callmaker named Brad Roberts.  Its poplar glass over glass and I have never owned a glass call that can make all the calls with ease as this one.  He took 3rd place at the grand nationals with this combo and I can see why.  His calls will be in demand soon.  I have way too many pot calls.  Scoot

cutt down

I agree with scoot on the Paul Platz glass over slate. A buddy has a Platz double glass that sounds great too! My Halloran double glass is a good sounding call. I prefer glass vs crystal because I feel glass has a little deeper tone & more raspy as well as easier to play for me. Now that has a lot to do with the way I play a pot & for you crystal may be just as easy but I prefer glass.

TauntoHawk

The two crystals I run are Halloran Twisted Sister and Mad Hen Gen 1 they are both all turkey and proven turkey killers but there are lots of great calls out there being built.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jbird22

I'll take a Mad Hen 2 over any other crystal/glass call my ears have ever heard. I also prefer crystal over glass in general.

Rick Howard

I prefer glass.  Glass is easier for me to play softly. 

Onpoint

Quote from: skimerhorn on May 04, 2015, 02:31:41 PM
Thinking of trying  a glass or crystal call, was wondering which one you guys would go with? Just looking for something new to add to the vest. Thanks.
I have a ton of good calls

in my opinion nothing beats a paul platz walnut glass or a david halloran crystal.

The halloran crystals are the easiest playing calls I've ever ran.

The Mad hen is also a great call. Lonzo trice makes.a great glass call as well. The Birdseye maple is a very versatile call that can play as soft as any slate or get excited. His katalox glass is my personal favorite. Very realistic tone.

I would definitely get on paul platz list for a walnut glass over glass..in the meantime get you a halloran crystal. any of them are great but my 2 favorite are crystal mistress and metal mouth..those 2 calls are really all a man would ever need. Mistress is Higher pitched ans metal mouth has a more mature hen sound..

Jgarrett

From what I've heard that Brad Roberts Poplar glass...sounds amazing.
John Garrett IV
The Panhandle of Florida

davisd9

I like both.  I usually carry one of each.  The more I hunt with my Loftis crystal screamer the more it impresses me and has started to become my go to call.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer