OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Shooting 2 different shot sizes?

Started by Cutt, March 26, 2011, 08:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

Does anyone have a setup where the first shell cambered is a different shot size than the other shells for backup? And if so, is the P.O.I. the same?

I have to actually sight in both shot sizes, as I only shot for patterns on cardboard, so not sure if they both will have the same P.O.I.?

Was thinking of chambering a 3in. #7 Hevi, followed by 2- 3.5in. #6's. The 7 would be my kill load and the 2 6's would be my OH SH** I missed loads.

Just did not want to buy both rounds if the do not have the same P.O.I., which I'm going to have to check? But what's your opinion, with the same brand loads although different shot and charges? Will they most likely be the same, or more than likely not? Thanks

CAMONICK

I doubt they will have the same point of impact. I shot 6s last year, and this year when i went to sight in with 7s they were quite a ways off. Its worth a shot to see if they do shoot the same though.

dawei

Quote from: Cutt on March 26, 2011, 08:37:20 PM
Does anyone have a setup where the first shell cambered is a different shot size than the other shells for backup? And if so, is the P.O.I. the same?

I have to actually sight in both shot sizes, as I only shot for patterns on cardboard, so not sure if they both will have the same P.O.I.?

Was thinking of chambering a 3in. #7 Hevi, followed by 2- 3.5in. #6's. The 7 would be my kill load and the 2 6's would be my OH SH** I missed loads.

Just did not want to buy both rounds if the do not have the same P.O.I., which I'm going to have to check? But what's your opinion, with the same brand loads although different shot and charges? Will they most likely be the same, or more than likely not? Thanks
I do in one of my 20ga guns. I have a horded stash or Remington® Premier® Hevi•Shot® in # 4 and 6 shot. I load #6 for the first shot and have two #4's in the tube. POI with either load is the same.

Additionally when I use my 90 year old Ithaca® 16ga SxS I use a #4/6 combination, albeit Pb. POI here too is the same.

When I am using Pb in my 20ga pump however......
• It's Winchester® Supreme® High Velocity 1200fps 1 5/16oz #4 (STH2034) for all three shots.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

surehuntsalot

I always use 3.5" 2oz #4's as backup in my 12ga's
and 3" 1-1/4oz #4's as backup in my 20ga's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

dawei

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 27, 2011, 09:50:11 PMI always use 3.5" 2oz #4's as backup in my 12ga's and 3" 1-1/4oz #4's as backup in my 20ga's
In the west, and in my state (WA), a fair share of hunters prefer #4 shot. It is the shot of choice for me.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

BrowningGuy88

This year I am shooting H 13 3-2-7 first shot and backing it up with a tube full of Nitro blends. Before I shot 5's or 6's first shot and then #2's or #4's backup. I have a 25 box of 3" 2's left that will absolutely crumple a flying turkey.

A lot of old timers around use to shoot #6 lead in one barrel and #4 buck in the other, but had to change when the laws were better defined and enforced.

Daman

3" 870 Shell Shucker

12 Gauge, #7 H13, followed by #5 Lead.

20 Gauge, #7.5 Hevi Duck, followed by #6 or #5 H13.

stinkpickle

Although all the shells in my gun are the same, it retains (practically) the same POI for each different shell I've tried in it.  That comes in nice, since I use HTL in the spring and lead in the fall, and I don't have to change anything.

Cutt

Quote from: Daman on March 28, 2011, 08:34:23 AM
This year I am shooting H 13 3-2-7 first shot and backing it up with a tube full of Nitro blends.

Now those are 2 different brand loads, and you still get the same P.O.I. with both?