Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone have video of a coyote catching a turkey?

Started by Strick9, May 01, 2015, 10:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strick9

Looking for footage of an actual catch and kill of a Turkey by coyote to be used in a presentation on behalf of predator management for Wild Turkeys.. Many thanks and I will protect or credit you as the videographer.

Respectfully,
David
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2

Strick9

Genesis 9;2

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I don't think coyotes kill as many mature birds as people like to think.
I suspect the coyotes kill many poults but it's also worth noting that coyotes also kill many of the animals that destroy turkey nests (opossum, raccoons, and skunks).

born2hunt

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 07, 2015, 06:46:46 PM
I suspect the coyotes kill many poults but it's also worth noting that coyotes also kill many of the animals that destroy turkey nests (opossum, raccoons, and skunks).
Now thats something I never thought much about...good point.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Strick9

Anybody have a video of a coyote catching and killing a racoon, possum or skunk? :)

I wasn't attempting to start a debate. But Coyotes get a plenty or they wouldn't waste the effort/calories to come to your turkey calls. Thats the beauty of Mother Nature and God. They both usually put the answer right in front of you.

Nesting hens , eggs and poults surely suffer but I am looking for some video evidence showing them on an adult.
Genesis 9;2

outdoors

A  FREIND WAS FISHING THIS KIDNEY SHAPE POND AND THIS HEN AND HER poults OF 4 WAS WALKING ALONG THE EDGE OF THE POND AND IN THE OPPISTE DIRECTIN THERES WAS A YOT WORKING ITS WAY TO THE BIRDS AND HE WANTED TO SCARE THE TURKEYS BUT DIDNT HAVE ANYTHING TO THROW SO HE JUST WATCH AND WHEN THE YOT GOT REAL CLOSE ,, HE THOUGHT THE poults ARE A FREE MEAL ,, THE HEN FLEW UP TOO A TREE AND ALL THE poults FOLLOWED AND HE WAS VERY SUPPRISED AND GLAD THAT THEY ALL MADE IT TOO SAFETY       
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

TauntoHawk

I have seen a coyote lunge at a hen once, the hen jumped in the air with a cackle and and flew maybe 20yds before handing and started aggressively calling. they coyote stopped for a brief moment and then turned and carried on the other way.

It was like she wasn't really concerned at all like.. "nice try jerk, I can fly now be gone"
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Strick9

A hungry yote is far different than a just ate and curious yote thats for certain.
Genesis 9;2

SCGobbler

I was talking to a friend of mine this past weekend that just got finished hiking the AT.

He was dumb and decided to hike part of it in late winter and as he went up in elevation the snow started and continued to get deeper and deeper.

He said he kept praying that he would get out of it because the snow had gotten pretty deep and he had lst the trail so he had started switchbacking across it.  He turned around and noticed coyote following him.  He sped up and hiked about another 4-500 yards further and the coyote kept up with him ducking behind trees and such.

He made it up to a fir tree of some kind that had most of the fallen snow up in the tree so he could rest underneath it and he heard children laughing.  He was really getting delirious he thought.  Turns out he had gotten to a point where there was a parking lot not too far off the trail and a family was hiking in the snow to just see the trail and the family gave him a ride back to town.

he is convinced that coyote was waiting him out to see if he was weak enough to try and take at some point.
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

turkey_slayer

Yotes get very very few turkeys in my opinion. They aren't equipped for it. I've had em get in between me and the bird on more than one occasion and the bird would just gobble at him. I'm talking 20 yards away.

alloutdoors

If the turkey sees the coyote first I think there's very little chance that the coyote is going to be successful, if a coyote gets the drop on a bird in close quarters it could be a different story.

Opening day this year I had a coyote try to blitz a group of birds and I found out later that probably the same yote ran in and grabbed a guys decoy that same morning who was set up nearby. Two days later in the same spot I saw what looked like the same coyote try another blitz attack on the same group of birds. If he isn't getting the occasional bird it's not for a lack of trying. That yote definitely has turkey on the brain.

howl

If I were as fast as a coyote, I could've caught a few barehanded by now. They'd starve targeting them regularly, but as targets of opportunity a gobbler is easy pickin's now and then.

Ihuntoldschool

Coyotes kill very few turkeys and probably benefit the turkey population overall by killing so many nest predators.  No video footage yet?  Not surprised.