turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question for Pot Call Makers

Started by MS, April 29, 2015, 04:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MS

I'm experimenting designs for slate and glass calls.  In the course of doing this, I'm making a lot of calls, most of which are not up to par sound-wise.  I've been finish sanding and applying finishes to these calls, which as you know, is almost half the time it takes to make a call.  I know sanding and finishes affect the sound of a call, but my question is this:  Can I make experimental calls to get the sound I want without sanding and finishing, and then when I get some designs I like, sand and finish, or is the sound between finished vs. unfinished calls going to be too different?

mmclain

don't worry about a perfect finish if you are just figuring it out....just seal the wood up so moisture doesn't affect it near as much..

matt

Rick Howard

I use this while making calls that I'm just testing out for learning purposes.  This finish goes on easy and It drys very quick.  It is very possible to make several pots and glue them up all in one day. Using this stuff.   The price is pretty good too. 

https://generalfinishes.com/retail-products/water-base-top-coats-sanding-sealers/wood-turners-finish#.VUGcgWKCOrU