OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New 835 Tactical Turkey

Started by Todd1700, March 26, 2011, 02:42:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd1700

Just picked up a Mossberg 835 tactical turkey. Currently have a Primos Jellyhead with a .690 diameter in it. A 3 1/2 inch Nitro 4x5x7 put 198 pellets in a 10 inch circle at 40 yards. Definately a dead turkey but if I were to try another choke which would you guys recomend between the .675 diameter IC and the .670 diameter Pure Gold? Or for that matter I'm open to suggestions on any chokes at all. Or should I leave well enough alone? LOL!

bigboy84

I would try the pure gold with that combo. Or I would seriously think about  a rhino
I have seen some real patterns with that choke shell combo.

allaboutshooting

I have no experience with Nitro shells but with all of the others, I'd certainly recommend a .670. It just seems to work best with 835 & 935 barrels.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

goblr77

neohiohunter

Just got my star dot. 676 in the mail for my 835. I also have a brand new pure gold. 670, im gonna pattern them both and assuming the star dot comes out on top with the #7's. Im probly gonna sell the PG. Let me kno if your interested

hansonw

where did u find ur star dot at?

knightrider

i have the same gun and with a pg 670 and deeeply cleaned and polished barrel im getting 220-230 avg with the hevi 3in magblend. :z-guntootsmiley:

neohiohunter

I was lucky enough to stumble across one in the classified section. That's hell of a pattern with 3"

Duke0002

Todd,  I have the 835 tactical on order.  Should be here in a few days. Clark's SSX (.670) is on the way.  Can't wait to pattern. 

Glad you like it!

Todd1700

Picked up a .670 Pure Gold. Gonna try a Nitro H517T, a Nitro H510C and a Heavy 13 3 1/2 inch number 7 through it. Will post my results.

capnrock

Looking forward to the results!

fastford04

Sweet!

Sent from Tiny's iPhone using Tapatalk

mastevt

Sweet looking shooter!  I hope mine looks as good as yours when it comes back from hydrographics.   I'm also in the market for a choke.  I'm shootin Heavy 13, #5's, and Magnum Blend, 2oz.

davisd9

A .670 with that load will more than likely blow the pattern.  From my limited experience with Nitros they like the more open choke, Nitro recommends the more open chokes.  I would not be against trying a IC .675.  The 835s and 935s seem to do best in the .675 range.

Personally if it was me I would not change a thing from what you have.  It is a hunting pattern that will kill 40 yards every time with some wiggle room for nerves and minor yard misjudgment.  Turkeys on the ground mean a whole lot more than holes in paper.  Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

lowoctane

I agree with davisd9. That's a killing pattern there! How's the 20" look? :z-twocents:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life