turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Are #7 legal to hunt with?

Started by SpringFever, March 26, 2011, 02:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpringFever

I am no seasoned turkey hunter but I never heard of anyone hunting with #7's. Only 4-6. I read about the h13 7's a lot on here.  Are these big and bad enough to kill a turky? If so, how far out? Last thing I was wondering is what states can you hunt with these in? I mainly hunt MN, WI and NE.

Odessa

You have to check the individual state regulations.  They are okay in NC (of course so are #2 lead for that matter).
"I admire a good turkey hunter chiefly because such a man displays qualities that we usually associate with pioneer America-patience, enthusiasm, woodcraft, game sense, and a quiet hardihood undaunted by rain, by cold, by long tough miles, by disappointment."
Archibald Rutledge

WyoHunter

I hunt in WY, NE and KS and 7's are legal in these states and are very effective in bringing that old gobbler to bag! :cowboy:  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Gobble!

MD just made them legal this year. Many here have killed turkeys at 50 yards plus with the hevi13 #7s

BigPeck215

you have to remember that htl 7's and lead 7's are a world apart, a htl 7 is comparable to a lead 5.5-6 in terms of penetration. many peole who are unfamiliar with htl shot stick their nose up at someone using 7's but that doesn't matter to because i know my 7's with smoke their lead 4's all day every day

SpringFever

Wow! 50 yards with #7 is just hard to wrap my mind around! But shells have come a very long way. Cant wait to try my 7's. Waiting patiently by the door waiting for the UPS man   ;D

goblr77

Killed a longbeard stone dead at 47 steps this morning with Hevi 7's. His head and neck was a mess. If you can hold the numbers there is not a doubt in my mind that they will kill at 60+ yards.

SKFOOTER

I killed one last year at 72 steps with Hevi-13 #7's.  They will do the job!

Hognutz

May I assume you're not here to inquire about the alcohol or the tobacco?
If attacked by a mob of clowns, go for the juggler.

chatterbox

SR1

New York they are allowed PA they are not allowed. I used to hunt with 1 1/4oz 7 1/2 loads when I was first hunting them and they killed them good from 0-30 yrds. This will be my first season hunting with htl 7's and thinkinging I should of gone to them years ago.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

ILIKEHEVI-13

I was skeptical at first with the 7's as well.  But after I bought some and tried them on paper I seen what I knew was going to work with the super dense patterns I ws getting.  Then I put them to the real test.  Take a look.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,1421.0.html

Now erase any doubts you have and believe. 

CntrlPA

Quote from: SR1 on March 26, 2011, 07:04:29 PM
New York they are allowed PA they are not allowed. I used to hunt with 1 1/4oz 7 1/2 loads when I was first hunting them and they killed them good from 0-30 yrds. This will be my first season hunting with htl 7's and thinkinging I should of gone to them years ago.

Where are you getting that they are not allowed in PA? PA's regs state "Fine shot no larger than No. 4"

Devastator

Quote from: CntrlPA on March 26, 2011, 10:15:04 PM
Quote from: SR1 on March 26, 2011, 07:04:29 PM

Where are you getting that they are not allowed in PA? PA's regs state "Fine shot no larger than No. 4"
x2

Mag10