turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Newbie with ?'s

Started by SpringFever, March 26, 2011, 02:02:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpringFever

First off, am I sure glad I ran into this forum. I have learned truck loads already in just the few hours Ive spent looking through these posts. Now, for some questions.

My gun: Moss 535 20" barrel

I have not patterned it yet, but have been gathereing some different shells to try per advise on this forum. I wil be trying Hevi13 3.5" 2 1/4oz #6 and #7. Also, I bought some Winchester supreme elite 3.5" 2oz #6. Wow none of these are easy on the wallet but I want the best. Nobody seems to be talking about the Elites much. Anybody out there with knowledge of these or a choke to start out trying? The chokes I have so far are the xfactor factory choke and I just bought a carlson .660.

Just like everybody else on here, ill conclude with asking what other chokes have worked well for you 500/535 guys and what shells. Thanks a bunch guys this site is spectacular!

JPD298

Welcome aboard!  The setup that works best in my 535 is an Indian Creek .660 choke with Hevi 13 Mag Blend 3.5".  After a very amatuer barrel polish, I'm putting between 195-205 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yds.  But even more, as far as patterns go, my 20" circle has 354 pellets.  I havent tried the 3 or 3.5" 7 shot Hevi yet, but I did try 3 & 3.5 mag blend, and the Hevi 3 - 2 - 6.  With the 3-2-6 I was only getting in the 160 range.  The 3" mag blend was in the 170's.  I also tried the stock choke (performed poorly), and the the HS Strut undertaker.  The undertaker shot slightly better than the stock xxx choke, but thought I'd try one of the economy chokes before going to the higher priced line of chokes.  Good luck

FANMAN

I don't shoot a Moss.,But many on here do,with great results.There is a search option on the top of this page,search four your gun and you will get loads of good info.
Good luck

3.5inchpainfulldeath

:welcomeOG: I shoot a Mossy 535 ats with a VAHUNTER special barrel polish.  SSX .643 choke, hevi 13 2.25oz #7's.
My best pattern is 352 in 10 at 40.  That was ideal weather conditions.
i shot a 326 the other day at the OG get together some of us VA boys had.  it was 50 degrees and windy.