OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

.660 too tight?

Started by RiverRoost, April 19, 2015, 11:49:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RiverRoost

I have a sx3 and the lady at rhino told me I should try the G2 choke in a .660For a little more range vs my .670.  Any experience with .660 Or their new G2 chokes?

10gaugemag

Rob Roberts recommended I try a .650 or .655

taylorjones20

How long is your barrel?  It sounds about right for a 26" or shorter barrel... 
Alive only by the Grace Of God

allaboutshooting

Quote from: RiverRoost on April 19, 2015, 11:49:42 PM
I have a sx3 and the lady at rhino told me I should try the G2 choke in a .660For a little more range vs my .670.  Any experience with .660 Or their new G2 chokes?

The exit diameter of the choke that may work best in your gun really depends upon the "internal geometry" that the designer has used to manufacture his choke. That's the reason we sometimes see chokes with very different exit diameters ranging from .640 to .675 deliver similar results in guns like you Invector+ barrelled SX3.

The design engineer at Browning/Winchester for your SX3 recommends a .640 choke for Invector+ barrels. Here are the specifications on the choke recommended for that gun. It's a .640 with .102 of constriction.

Browning Invector+
Directional porting reduces recoil
Stainless steel with black oxide finish
Camo band
Optimal w/#4, #5 & #6 shot
0.102" constriction

There are several brands of chokes that work well in the SX3. I have that gun with a 28" barrel and shoot it on a pretty regular basis with a variety of chokes ranging from .643 to .655 and see excellent patterns with all of them.

Thanks,
Clark

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

RiverRoost

Quote from: taylorjones20 on April 20, 2015, 08:39:47 AM

It's a 24" pipe

10gaugemag

Quote from: RiverRoost on April 20, 2015, 09:57:01 AM

It's a 24" pipe
Same as mine. So far my best patterns have come from an original Star Dot that measures .6675.
Beat the SSX by a fair amount but I still want to try something in the .650-.660 range. Looking into Wrights and Rob Roberts myself.

taylorjones20

Quote from: RiverRoost on April 20, 2015, 09:57:01 AM

It's a 24" pipe

Yeah I'm pretty sure Rob Roberts recommends a .660 in that gun - depending on what shells you're shooting...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

outdoorsmen

Clark the briley full strut tube you are reffering to is .640. But briley also makes two other browning labeled tubes with a lesser constriction. I foreget what size they are though somehwere around .690 i think.

RiverRoost

My gun came w a Briley choke that says Winchester Longbeard xtended range on it. Never shot it. Has a camo band around the top of it but it doesn't say what constriction it is.

RiverRoost

My gun came w a Briley choke that says Winchester Longbeard xtended range on it. Never shot it. Has a camo band around the top of it but it doesn't say what constriction it is.