OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

this years nitros

Started by fountain, March 25, 2011, 06:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fountain

Is anyone else not having good pattern results from the shells this year?  I shot today out of several chokes and different constructions.  No good numbers out of any.  What gives?  My gun suck that bad or are the shells that inconsistent this year?  Some looked to have more 7s ansome looked to have more of the bigger shot.   Pretty bummed out right now..I guess I had really high expectations.   The loads were the 517t 4x5x7 hevi getting shot out of a brand new turkey thug edition 835. 

Jourdan_D

What chokes were you using?

fountain

Sumtoy and rhino..definately not a choke issue. 

Jourdan_D

with that same load/gun and rhino  i was almost geeting 300 in a 10" circle at 40 with a very good 20" .  Have you deep cleaned or polished your barrel?  What constriction is your Rhino?

fountain

Barrel was clean, but not super clean.  The rhino is 695 andi had a 698 Sumtoy built as well.  I was expecting 300+ easily.  I don't even think I got 250.  I was over 300 with the 51013 laods last year out of a jh, but the gun they are in does not eject them well..both my 835s are 20" bbls too.  Mind boggling!   

hookedspur

I am not experiencing the drops in Nitro or H13 . ??????
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

fountain

Either it wad the weather,  a crappy shooting gun, or something.  This is the first time I've had this problem.  It sucks that's for sure.  I do have another bbl im thinking about getting worked on now.  Its kinda bothering me now.  I KNOW I should have gotten better results..Sumtoy can attest.  For# 8.50 a pop..I kinda felt dumb shooting them today.

wingbonehntr

I have a browning silver with a rhino 670. It shot 255 at 40 with last years h51013 and 138 at 40 with this years h510c

fountain

That's where I was at too bud..just don't add up.  There wasn't enough pellets to come up with 300 in a 10" circle..and we shot big pieces of paper too.  Pellet count seemed very low in every shell and I shot 5-6 of the hot loaded jokers too.  Im not bashing nitro..so nobody throw that at me..cause I know they are good stuff..im just curious to know if there is any truth to all the gossip about this years shells being sub par.  I really don't plan to quit shooting them, I just want to test a little more.   I have an extra bbl I may try to get Sumtoy to cut down a little,  lengthen the forcing cone and port for me and give it a try.

SumToy

That was the first nitro's that I had played with.  They look to have more 7's in some and the others to have more of the big shot.   The few we shot on big paper just to see I would say they had less then 400 in a 3 foot square paper.  Now we are all human so we all make mistakes so I think it was some not so good shells and the time of day we shot.  I did not know if it was something to do with the lay out of the choke.  then we shot the other one and it did the same so that make me think it was a combo of things. I know the HV-13 was not doing what they should have this time of day.   I know in the target guns will change the way they shoot. 

Had a old man tell me that it was the sun and the moon.  He been around longer then me so I take his word.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

shootumindaface

Herein lies the problem with Hevi.. When the shot is running extremely small pellet numbers goes up.. When they are running true to size pellet numbers go down.. Nothing more nothing less.

SKFOOTER

I've been posting on here for over a week that I'm having the same problem with the #H51013A  Straight 7's in my Benelli SBE/Jellyhead .655 setup.  Shooting the shells I purchased 2 years ago, I was getting close to 400 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards.  Shooting this year's shells in the same setup, the best I've been able to get is 280.  I've spoken with Letha at Nitro and she assures me that Ray has made no component change in this load.  But something is causing the reduction in my patterns.  Letha did tell me that they were having difficulty getting # 7 Hevi-Shot from their supplier.  I've been told that supplier is Environmetal.

Jourdan_D

Maybe it's the shot.  I took apart a #7 hevi shell last week.  Is was manily 4,5, and 6's with some "dust".......... and alot of the pellets were egg shaped

fountain

maybe it just my gun.  i havent shot the other one with its new shells to compare to last years patterns.  i plan to shoot more this week with the 51013 loads out of the new gun.  maybe it dont like the heavy loads.  just dont know but none of it makes sense.  the extremely low pellet count on paper worries me.  i know they will still kill tho..cause there has been 2 casualties the last two morning to show..but numbers i still want!