OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Box calls

Started by KY-Hunting, April 14, 2015, 09:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KY-Hunting

I feel honored that I have so many big named people commenting on my post.

sixbird

I carry WAY too many calls in my vest but a Spring Creek longbox (Sassafras over Butternut) has a special place. Love a longbox for the variety of sounds you can get out of them...Have a new one coming from Spring Creek. It'll be a purple heart over cedar (longbox). I'm guessing somebody else is going to have to move out to make room!

M Sharpe

Quote from: KY-Hunting on April 15, 2015, 06:49:42 PM
I always had the ones that where loose and squawky.

They all are until you do something about them. Go to Lowes and get you one of those Velcro strips that you put around garden hoses or extension cords. Place the wide end between the lid and the rails, wrap underneath and back up. Problem solved!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

willy8457

I carry  lots of different calls , but the long box is my go to call. I've killed more turkeys with a long box than any other call. But you should carry the calls that you run and sound the best with.

strutnrut

Quote from: M Sharpe on April 16, 2015, 12:24:59 AM
Quote from: KY-Hunting on April 15, 2015, 06:49:42 PM
I always had the ones that where loose and squawky.

They all are until you do something about them. Go to Lowes and get you one of those Velcro strips that you put around garden hoses or extension cords. Place the wide end between the lid and the rails, wrap underneath and back up. Problem solved!

x2 or you can get a chalkbox built for you box call. They will keep the paddle off of the lid but like Mark said you will still have to have something to keep the lid secured. Velcro works great get enough for two because if you are like me you will lose it.

Stoner

I guess I am more of a traditional turkey hunter, I predominantly use box calls and friction calls. I have used diaphragm calls and really do not care for them; I just enjoy making my own calls and using them to hunt turkeys. Between the two types of calls I can make any type of turkey vocalization that is needed at any given time. I would not consider using a "store bought call"; I used store bought calls and had some success, but which I switched to custom calls my success rate went up dramatically.