turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Box calls

Started by KY-Hunting, April 14, 2015, 09:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KY-Hunting

I've never had any luck with box calls and don't even own one. Is a box call a necessary call to have in the vest? How many of my fellow hunters use them?

callmakerman

The call or calls to have in your vest are the ones you have confidence in running. Your do not have to have a box call but they do work quite well. There's a ton of guys that only use mouth calls but I don't bother. For me it's pot calls and scratch boxes.

chuckward

At a distance a box call is probably the most realistic sounding call. It cuts the wind better than most calls, but I rarely carry one. I do the majority of my calling with a pot. Just use what your good with. Chuck

paboxcall

Unless it's pouring rain, I never leave home without one, and often its two that go with me - a short box and a long box.

And like callmakerman mentioned, always carry a scratchbox in my shirt pocket too.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Thundermtn

I kept one in my vest for probably ten years. Retired it completely two years ago after it only struck one bird in that time. It made more unwanted pocket sqwuaking than helping produce birds.

Now some boxes definitely sound better than others but at this point I'm running pots and a couple mouth calls and that's it for turkey sounds.

mgm1955

Long box always goes with me. Can do any call I need to make with one. Great versatility.

trb136

I would never hunt without a boxcall! Isnt a turkey sound you cant make with a good one

hotspur

I use them 90% of the time. I'm good with a mouth call but I feel the box sounds more realistic,it is definitely more productive,and that is what I look for in any kind of call duck ,goose,deer,varmint,or turkey,the more realistic the better

M Sharpe

A couple of boxes, wingbones and trumpets is about all I use these days.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

mudhen

Have shot maybe 20-25+ toms that worked in to a box call...

Windy days, afternoon, open fields, etc.

I have carried one for 30 years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

strutnrut

Each to there own but I don't leave the house without a box call.  I have mouth calls, boxes, trupmet, wingbone, pot and tube calls with me if I have my vest on. With out the vest: box, mouth, trumpet and or wingbone.

eddie234

Quote from: chuckward on April 14, 2015, 10:15:21 PM
At a distance a box call is probably the most realistic sounding call. It cuts the wind better than most calls.
Because of this I always carry one.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

WillowRidgeCalls

Is it necessary to have one? No, but if your hunting thick ridges, open fields, or your birds are roosted at long distances, or you can't move on a bird, they are a very handy tool in your vest. You can work birds at a distance or close up with them.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

KY-Hunting

Thanks for all the input. I'm revamping my vest with new pot calls. Like I said I've never really had any luck with boxes but then again I always had the ones that where loose and squawky. I didn't realize that they sound the most realistic at a distance. I'm no turkey slayer but have killed a few and they have all been taken with Wallyworld slate calls. Im just getting into custom calls. I have an open spot in my vest just for a box so I might just try my luck.

West Augusta

Get a quality box call. a good holster and carry it.  It's always good to have that extra tool in the vest that might just be what the gobbler wants to hear.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.