turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

copper ?

Started by tap.emtp, February 12, 2011, 08:29:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tap.emtp

would like to try copper. do you guys prefer plain or blasted ? whats a good soundboard ? thanks ted

Cut*N*Run

I haven't tried blasted, but just because it's easy enough to condition the plain. A green scotch brite will rough it up nicely. I also would guess that the blasted texture would wear down fairly quickly anyway- it's such a soft metal.

I've used glass and slate as soundboards in my copper calls. Both sound great- in my design the slate is a bit more mellow, but not by a whole lot.

Def give it a try- it's my favorite surface!

hookedspur

My first copper is on the way .
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

tap.emtp

Hoosier Daddy

I'm building a few copper calls as i speak , got the soundboards gluing , i'm using glass for the boards in this batch , i did get a few blasted copper and a few plain , the blasted surface dont take long to be needing to be touched back up , i also just recomend the plain copper , i'm using 100 grit on mine to scratch them up , it grabs the striker good and sounds good with alot of controll

pappy

copper is a great surface to work with, I have made many and the combos are C/G and C/S and they worked super. I would not reccomend blasted for two reasons, 1. they wear down too fast and need reconditioned again...2. why pay the extra amount for something you will be re-doing in the near future?
I found also the best size is 3 - 1/4" , for my style pots anyhow...3" is too whiny and 3 - 1/2" tend to rattle.  pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

bird

I love the sound of a copper call and I agree with pappy on the size of the copper call makes a huge difference in the sound that you will get.  Copper can get real loud but I also think its finicky to the amount of sound chamber it has and the type of wood you use with it.  I believe that it needs to have a sound chamber that will tone it down some so it won't get that rattle or whinny sound to it.  But a good sounding copper is an AWESOME call to have on a hunt!

bird

tnturkeyman28

Quote from: bird on March 24, 2011, 10:41:52 AM
I love the sound of a copper call and I agree with pappy on the size of the copper call makes a huge difference in the sound that you will get.  Copper can get real loud but I also think its finicky to the amount of sound chamber it has and the type of wood you use with it.  I believe that it needs to have a sound chamber that will tone it down some so it won't get that rattle or whinny sound to it.  But a good sounding copper is an AWESOME call to have on a hunt!

bird

I couldn't have said it better bud!

the copper call will jerk a gobble out of a bird quick
Big Boys Custom Calls
" I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
Owner of Big Boys Custom Call making Custom Turkey Calls to Order. Mossy Oak Pro Staff The Good lord has Blessed me far more than I deserve. Philippians 4:13