turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Just Bought A New Stoeger M3500 HELP!!

Started by Buckeye_Strutter_935, April 13, 2015, 09:45:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckeye_Strutter_935

Need A good choke tube im gonna order a sumtoy today but i dont know how long it will take to get it in my gun is the hevi-shot choke any good with winchester longbeard XR no. 5's???
Feathers Fear Me

gatrkyhntr70

Really no need to worry or spend big$ with the longbeards. The factory choke will likely surprise you. Some other chokes to consider that arent pricey are the Bass pro blackout(made by Carlsons) The primos jellyhead and the tight wad. Recently when our season started here my son's uncle showed for opening weekend with a benelli nova he had never patterned and some hornady #4 loads. We patterned it and it's a miracle he has killed a turkey with it.
We ran out grabbed some 3.5" longbeard 4's, a cheap truglo turkey choke in .665(all that was left).
we cleaned the bbl. and at a lasered 40yds he's now getting 168 #4's in a 10" circle.
Ive shot several boxes of longbeards in 4,5,6 in numerous guns with various chokes an have'nt been disappointed yet. Personally I prefer the #4's and 5's.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Buckeye_Strutter_935 on April 13, 2015, 09:45:45 AM
Need A good choke tube im gonna order a sumtoy today but i dont know how long it will take to get it in my gun is the hevi-shot choke any good with winchester longbeard XR no. 5's???
Great gun. Congratulations.

Many of my readers have that shotgun and have had excellent results with both the Hevi-13 turkey choke and the SSX, both readily available and reasonably priced. Most are shooting WLB #6 shot or Hevi-13 #6 shot but they've also had good results with the #5 shot WLB shells. You may want to take a look at the recent results I had with the new Magnum Blend shells as well http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=762 that one was a bit of a surprise to me.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

sonofabuck

I have the m3000.  The primos Jellyhead shot the long beards well.  If you need something now and can't wait for the sumtoy they can be readily found.  I sold mine after getting the Sumtoy.  Haven't shot 4s but 5s and 6s patterned very good for me with the sumtoy.

Mike Honcho

With my 3500 I am getting 275 in 10 at 40 with Win Longbeard 6's, 3 1/2's and Primos Jellyhead ...I think it's a .655 someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that.

BigPimpin

I ordered my Sumtoy on Wednsday, it was in my mailbox Friday.  I guess I should mention that I am only an hour's drive away, but I was too busy at work to get over there and pick it up.  As always, my Sumtoy choke put out a nice even pattern.  228 in the 10" at 40 Yds.  M3500 24" barrel.  1st shot ever.  My buddy got the same set up a week before me and kilt a bird the first week he had it.  I borrowed his because my 3.5" gun was down and I kilt one too.  So if you were wondering, now you know that combo is deadly.
I'd rather be Drivin' > Disco.

NJGobblerHunter

OP, did you try the stock turkey choke that came with the m3500? It's what I'm using, along with Remington Premiers #5 and I'm getting good patterns.

Phire Phite

I got the Sumtoy with my 3500.  Try the Mag blends.  I got 201 with mine.  Most here don't recommend the factory choke that comes with the gun.