OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What choke for "hunting" pattern in beretta al 391 urika

Started by Onpoint, April 12, 2015, 11:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onpoint

I have a couple dedicated turkey slayers. Got this gun last weekend in a trade and the front bead is broke off. I'm having a machinist try to get it out without messing the threads up. I just ordered a replacement hiviz comp sight. Hoping to just be able to shoot double beads on this gun. I have an 870 special purpose with a heve shot coke, baikal single shot 12 with a sumtoy choke, mossberg 535 with a rhino choke topped off with a nikon monarch turkey scope. My wife has a mossberg super Bantam fitted with a carlsons 575 which throws the best "hunting" pattern of any of the guns we have.

I have guns that throw ridiculous 10" numbers, that 535 with longbeard 4's is almost too tight. I missed a couple with that gun last year shooting rifle sights which is why I added a scope this year.

I'm not chasing 10" numbers here. What I want is a good even 15" pattern. I have a stock pile of long beards and turkey thug shells. I quit shooting htl when $30 would no longer get 10 rounds. I may try some federal 3rd degree just because I feel like they are reasonably priced. Anyways, back on topic, what choke should I look at? right now the 2 I'm considering are the patternmaster code black and carlsons longbeard choke.

The gun came with a tightwad choke. The guy I got it from is the same guy I got my 535 from and he said the 535 blows the Beretta out of the water.

Pure gold is another choke I've considered as well.

Onpoint

Quote from: Onpoint on April 12, 2015, 11:14:00 PM
I have a couple dedicated turkey slayers. Got this gun last weekend in a trade and the front bead is broke off. I'm having a machinist try to get it out without messing the threads up. I just ordered a replacement hiviz comp sight. Hoping to just be able to shoot double beads on this gun. I have an 870 special purpose with a heve shot coke, baikal single shot 12 with a sumtoy choke, mossberg 535 with a rhino choke topped off with a nikon monarch turkey scope. My wife has a mossberg super Bantam fitted with a carlsons 575 which throws the best "hunting" pattern of any of the guns we have.

I have guns that throw ridiculous 10" numbers, that 535 with longbeard 4's is almost too tight. I missed a couple with that gun last year shooting rifle sights which is why I added a scope this year.

I'm not chasing 10" numbers here. What I want is a good even 15" pattern. I have a stock pile of long beards and turkey thug shells. I quit shooting htl when $30 would no longer get 10 rounds. I may try some federal 3rd degree just because I feel like they are reasonably priced. Anyways, back on topic, what choke should I look at? right now the 2 I'm considering are the patternmaster code black and carlsons longbeard choke.

The gun came with a tightwad choke. The guy I got it from is the same guy I got my 535 from and he said the 535 blows the Beretta out of the water.

Pure gold is another choke I've considered as well.
Just happened to think, I remember last year after he first got the Beretta he said something about it shooting high. This sucks because for 2 reasons, 1 I'm out 30 bucks on a non adjustable sight and 2 I was really wanting to just shoot double beads on this gun. Was wanting this to be an all around gun, not just a dedicated turkey rig with rifled sights or a scope

allaboutshooting

There are many chokes out there that throw good/excellent patterns like the ones you want for hunting. I was very impressed with the new Magnum Blend shells through the JEB's .650 turkey choke. That combination did what you describe, an excellent 10" core pattern and a very good 20" halo pattern to take care of any movement on the part of the turkey or the shooter.  Here's a link, in case you missed it http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=762

Over the last few months, I've evaluated WLB, Hevi-13, 3rd Degree and the new Magnum Blend shells, using a variety of guns and chokes and in various temperatures. Many good products and many good choices.

You may want to take a look at some of the other results that I had and maybe that will be of some help in making a choice for your new gun.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Onpoint

Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 13, 2015, 09:48:42 AM
There are many chokes out there that throw good/excellent patterns like the ones you want for hunting. I was very impressed with the new Magnum Blend shells through the JEB's .650 turkey choke. That combination did what you describe, an excellent 10" core pattern and a very good 20" halo pattern to take care of any movement on the part of the turkey or the shooter.  Here's a link, in case you missed it http://allaboutshooting.com/article_info.php?articles_id=762

Over the last few months, I've evaluated WLB, Hevi-13, 3rd Degree and the new Magnum Blend shells, using a variety of guns and chokes and in various temperatures. Many good products and many good choices.

You may want to take a look at some of the other results that I had and maybe that will be of some help in making a choice for your new gun.

Thanks,
Clark
Well my checking account is $104 lighter. got a jebs 660 on the way. I called and talked to the folks ans was explaining that I wanted an even 15" hunting pattern as opposed to a High numbers gun and the fella really sold me on this choke. I hope I don't regret not getting the patternmaster.

allaboutshooting

I think you'll be very pleased with that JEB's choke. Glad the folks there were so helpful to you. They are really good people who know their products very well.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

STP22

I just ordered one from Jeb's myself for my Beretta A400 Xtreme.
They were very helpful (like Clark) in determining a constriction based upon the shell I was planing on using (Winchester Long Beard XR 3" #5).
Steve

Onpoint

Quote from: STP22 on April 13, 2015, 04:36:17 PM
I just ordered one from Jeb's myself for my Beretta A400 Xtreme.
They were very helpful (like Clark) in determining a constriction based upon the shell I was planing on using (Winchester Long Beard XR 3" #5).
Steve

That's the shell I will more than  likely run. I have 4's, 5's and 6's

STP22

I will let you know how my patterns turn out when I get my choke (.655). I have some 4s and 6s as well.
Steve

Onpoint

Quote from: allaboutshooting on April 13, 2015, 03:03:46 PM
I think you'll be very pleased with that JEB's choke. Glad the folks there were so helpful to you. They are really good people who know their products very well.

Thanks,
Clark
Thanks again clark. You sure have been alot of help the past couple years.

10gaugemag

Keep us posted. I would almost bet you are looking at 200+/- in that 15" circle.

Onpoint

Quote from: 10gaugemag on April 13, 2015, 09:44:05 PM
Keep us posted. I would almost bet you are looking at 200+/- in that 15" circle.
I sure will.
I think I'm really going to like this gun. It's a little heavier than what I like but this gun is very well balanced. I was wanting an M2 20 Guage but for the deal I got on this gun I couldn't pass it up.
I had $685 in an FNX 45, traded even for the Beretta. (I'd rather have the fnx tactical 45 anyways, right now my 90 - two is my pride and joy)
guess a 20 will be my post season project