turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What to shoot at while patterning

Started by kdsberman, April 12, 2015, 01:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kdsberman

Ok I know this sounds kind of dumb, but what is the best "setup" in terms of what to shoot at for patterning?  I've always used rosin paper and drew a 10" circle and stapled it to a piece of OSB, but after several shots the board starts getting chewed up pretty good.   I see a lot of guys just using cardboard.  I dont usually run in to a bunch of big cardboard pieces, does Home Depot or Menards sell big sheets of that?

Anyway,does anyone have a good recommendation? 

Thanks guys

TauntoHawk

I've picked up large piece of craft style thick paper board that was pretty big at walmart before when I didn't have any cardboard
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bigspurs68

I get cardboard from a appliance store for free.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

10gaugemag

Big pieces of cardboard from the local recycle center or poster board from Walmart or Dollar General.

kdsberman

Quote from: 10gaugemag on April 12, 2015, 03:23:52 PM
Big pieces of cardboard from the local recycle center or poster board from Walmart or Dollar General.

Thats a good idea..never thought about that.

HogBiologist

I use cheap Xmas paper that is 30" wide and cut 30" long. I put a target on it and shoot it. You don't draw the 10" circle until after you shoot. Once you have shot, you find the densest part of your pattern. Draw the 10" ring and count pellets. Then adjust your sights to center the pattern over the target. That is as simple as setting your gun in a sight vise and aiming at the target again. Adjust the sights until the X hair is on the point of impact. Remember to keep the gun still until you are through moving the sights. Doing this I can sight a gun in with just 2 shots.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

nativeks

I get elections signs people are throwing away. The neighbors usually have like 30 of them. Then I use clothepins to put a piece of the wife's parchment paper on it. Spray paint and x and pattern away.

Snoodsniper

I prefer OSB but I usually have some laying around. I'll shoot it until its toast then break it down and toss it in the burn barrel at the gun club. Made a simple stand that works great. Going to pattern my guns in the next couple days maybe I'll post a pic.

Izzyjoe

I went to Lowes and bought a roll of brown paper in the painting department, it's 36" wide, so I made myself a frame out of 2x2's that is 36"x36", that way I can staple it at the top roll it down staple the bottom, and cut it off. I'm half way though the roll, and I have been doing a lot of patterning lately. Windy days play havoc on me though.

kdsberman

Quote from: HogBiologist on April 12, 2015, 06:10:42 PM
I use cheap Xmas paper that is 30" wide and cut 30" long. I put a target on it and shoot it. You don't draw the 10" circle until after you shoot. Once you have shot, you find the densest part of your pattern. Draw the 10" ring and count pellets. Then adjust your sights to center the pattern over the target. That is as simple as setting your gun in a sight vise and aiming at the target again. Adjust the sights until the X hair is on the point of impact. Remember to keep the gun still until you are through moving the sights. Doing this I can sight a gun in with just 2 shots.

I'm glad u said that. I was going to sight in then pattern. I like your idea better.  Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

allaboutshooting

Great suggestions and examples by everyone of what can work. This patterning thing is so important. It's important to find out how our gun/choke/shotshell works for you, at ranges we intend to shoot.

Packing paper that you find at moving places also works well. It's usually in boxes of 200 sheets and sells for about $10.00. You can tack those sheets on a big box and shoot all day.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

foxred1962

We go by the Local costco and get the huge slip sheets that sit on their pallets during shipping that they throw away !!! 4x4 sheets show everything

kdsberman

Just bought about 6 poster boards. Hoping they'll be big enough to pattern with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

njdevilsb

Quote from: Izzyjoe on April 12, 2015, 10:12:24 PM
I went to Lowes and bought a roll of brown paper in the painting department, it's 36" wide, so I made myself a frame out of 2x2's that is 36"x36", that way I can staple it at the top roll it down staple the bottom, and cut it off. I'm half way though the roll, and I have been doing a lot of patterning lately. Windy days play havoc on me though.

I pretty much have this exact setup.  I may have gotten the idea from somebody here a few years ago and found some wood laying around and built it.  A roll of that paper is convenient for patterning.  I put mine on a wooden dowel at the bottom  of the frame and protected it with a few layers of wood.  I just roll it up to the top, pin it, shoot and then roll up more and cut off the first shot and pin the next sheet.

the Ward

I made a target stand out of pcv pipe with legs so its free standing. Went to hardware store got a 10' stick of white (don't remember size, maybe 1.5 or 2"?) some elbows and t's and stuck it all together. I didn't glue anything so I could easily disassemble it for transport. Got maybe $20 in it and it's impervious to damage by any pellets lead or htl. I get a lot of card board 3x3 sheets that come on the bottom of shipping pallets so I made the stand that size and tape the cardboard to it.   Made a square with 2 elbows and 2 t's and legs run down off the t's to 2 more t's on bottom for legs. Works great!