OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best choke for 5's?

Started by Jbird22, March 25, 2011, 11:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

I been doing a little experimenting with different lead loads this year and would like to pick your brains a bit. Here are the choke/load combos I have tested so far through my 870 SM w/ 23" bbl.

Federal Premium 3-1/2" 2-1/4 oz. #5 (non-FC):

Kick's GT .655 = 161 hits in 10" circle @ 30 yds...86 hits in 10" circle @ 40 yds -  (Big drop off from 30 yds I thought but nice and even)

Rem SF (lead only) - 75 hits in 10" circle @ 40 yds but very even also.

Primos JH .665 = 136 hits in 10" circle @ 30yds...so few @ 40 yds it wasn't worth counting (I est. mid/low 60's).

Winchester Super X 3" 1-7/8 oz. #6:

Kicks GT .655 = 220's in 10" circle @ 30 yds...high 120's/low 130's in 10" @ 40.

Primos JH .665 = quite a few less @ 30 & 40 so I didn't bother counting.

Observations: The JH surprised me at how poorly it did with lead but it is an absolute beast with H-13 (getting high 190's/low 200's with 3-1/2" 2-1/4 oz 6's and low 300's with the same load in 7's both @ 40yds but they're a little too tight for my liking for the majority of the terrain I hunt). The Kick's .655 is the best choke I currently own for lead. Also, I noticed that the Rem SF .665 outperformed the JH .665 (could it be because the SF is non-ported?).

I'm also gonna try some 3-1/2" Win Supreme HV #5's & #6's to compare to the 3-1/2" Federal load. I have a feeling the Win's will out perform the Fed's if I'm being honest.

The Win Super X load is tough to beat for the price/performance!

Question: Now I'm wondering if a SSX .643 or Carlson's .640 (non-ported) would be worth trying to squeeze it just a tad. Is there another choke you would recommend me to try other than those two? Any insight is welcome.

jokasr07

got the same gun, I would try high v 3" through your chokes. I have a tightwad but my rem superfull was still shooting tighter, imo 3 high v's are the lead shot to try.But you cant go wrong with 665 and also you might try 670 maybe a little more open will do it

bowhunter84

Quote from: jokasr07 on March 25, 2011, 11:37:40 AM
got the same gun, I would try high v 3" through your chokes. I have a tightwad but my rem superfull was still shooting tighter, imo 3 high v's are the lead shot to try.But you cant go wrong with 665 and also you might try 670 maybe a little more open will do it
:agreed:

SR1

Get some Winchester HV #5's and get rid of those junk Federal shells. With the 2 oz or 2 1/4 oz loads I would dare say your over chokeing them try a more open choke like a .675-.680.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

Jbird22

Quote from: SR1 on March 25, 2011, 11:44:09 AM
Get some Winchester HV #5's and get rid of those junk Federal shells. With the 2 oz or 2 1/4 oz loads I would dare say your over chokeing them try a more open choke like a .675-.680.

I thought I might have been over-choking them also but my patterns all opened WAY up when going from Kick's .655 - JH .665 with both rounds. I wouldn't go as far as to call the Federal shells junk because I had a flawless record with the older 3-2-6 Federal Premiums. I even killed a few WAY beyond their "effective" range but I was young and didn't know any better. I do know where you are coming from though in that the Win shells seem to be king when it comes to lead these days.

Tom Foolery

Quote from: JBIRD22 on March 25, 2011, 11:24:50 AM
counting.

Observations: The JH surprised me at how poorly it did with lead but it is an absolute beast with H-13 (getting high 190's/low 200's with 3-1/2" 2-1/4 oz 6's and low 300's with the same load in 7's both @ 40yds but they're a little too tight for my liking for the majority of the terrain I hunt).

If you are talk about shots and say 20yds and in, I bet there isn't much if any difference between the H13 and lead at 25yds and in.  I shoot H13 6's and Win HV 6's, the pattern at 40yds has the Hevi13 by 30-50 pellets on a good day, at 20yds they both look the same one swarm of pellets about 8-10" wide.

R AJ

A- Get Win HV 3-1 3/4-#6 lead
B-Screw in GT 655 choke
C- Shoot at 30 and 40 yards at same target
D-Get calculator and start counting

If you get poor numbers please let me know.
Hint- The Win HV loads love a tight squeeze as in 650 and 655,just like old whites #6s do.

You did ask for #5 however. That being the case still get the Win HV #5s as previously mentioned and try both the 655 and 665 but use 3" in the 655 for sure. You will get blown pattern sgoing to 640 and number 5s. 643 and 655 with the Win HV 3" #6 is OK. But that is not a 5. You are already squeezing the #5s with big loads.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

QuoteGet Win HV 3-1 3/4-#6 lead

Also try the same shell in #5's.

Hay Flats

I got very good patterns with that same Federal load in my SBE II using a
Comp-N-Choke .658 XXX, if my Benelli didn't shoot a foot low with them that's all I would use, but Hevi-13 hits at point of aim so that's what have stuck with since I prefer to use a bead over sights but that C-N-C is deadly with lead, much better than my IC .665 its even tighter with Hevi than the IC but its not rated for it :(

Kurt

Jbird22

Thanks guys. That's the kind of info I was looking for. I don't really care for the recoil from the Supreme HV's but I know they throw good patterns. I used to shoot the 3-1/2" 2 oz. #6 and they pattern nicely @ 30 yds. I never took the time to try them @ 40 but I will soon. I still have a few left and plan to pattern them against the same load in a #5 as well as patterning the Supreme HV 3" 1-3/4 oz. #5 and comparing them to the Win Super X 3" 1-7/8 oz. #6 patterns I already have. Between those 4 loads and the chokes I have I feel like I will find one that I will stick with.

R AJ

As noted you can at times get a better pattern with less shot if it is overchoked or too hot. Velocity is a key ingredient.If you stick with th e5s and Kick's I am thinking that the 3" shell will outshoot the 3.5 incher. They do kick but so does that Federal 3.5" shell. Ouch!

Mag10

Has your barrel been polished and are you running a bore snake after every shot?

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Jbird22

Quote from: Mag10 on March 25, 2011, 05:49:15 PM
Has your barrel been polished and are you running a bore snake after every shot?

I cleaned my barrel and also somewhat polished it this afternoon for the first time. I did pick up a box each of the HV 5's in 3" and 3-1/2" so I will throw a few patterns just as soon as the wind permits. As for cleaning after every shot, no I don't.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: SR1 on March 25, 2011, 11:44:09 AM

the Federal shells are not junk by no means
they are besides winchesters, the best out there
it's not the harvest,it's the chase