turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting Private Land

Started by Herms27, April 08, 2015, 09:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herms27

I've been doing my pre-season scouting and come across a fairly large herd that has made its home on a large piece of private land, about 50 acres in size. It's a fairly rural property, but the owner has a home there and there are other homes adjacent. My question to everyone here is:

how much space between your chosen hunting location and residential areas do you need to feel comfortable when hunting on private land? Obviously, I know I need permission from the land owner and I know the state laws about distance, but I wanted to get a feel for what others think is a comfortable amount of distance.

Thanks!

Thundermtn

Me personally, If I'm working a bird and can't see the property line it's going down, unless my shot string is pointed in the general direction of a residence. If the neighbors are running feeders to pull birds off and you get too close they'll get uppity about you shooting "their" birds if you get too close.

Rapscallion Vermilion

It is a good idea to talk to the landowner about this when you ask for permission and it will let him know right away that you want to be a good guest on his land. His safety zone might be much more than what is allowed by state law.

101st501

870supermagnum

RutnNStrutn

:agreed: X3
Sounds like a good plan, to keep from aggravating the land owner, and to secure a spot for you to hunt in the future. Good luck!!

Herms27

Thanks everyone. Legally i believe I can go out on hunt on the property without his permission as there are no posted signs prohibiting it. But I want to be considerate so I have the best chance at a good location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

Quote from: Herms27 on April 08, 2015, 01:30:17 PM
Thanks everyone. Legally i believe I can go out on hunt on the property without his permission as there are no posted signs prohibiting it. But I want to be considerate so I have the best chance at a good location.

I know a few states that's true but most are not. I'd double triple check on that one
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Herms27

I checked Massachusetts state laws website today and it has to be posted, otherwise you actually don't need written permission. Not saying I'd go that route but it is legal.

Ihuntoldschool

There is a huge difference between "not needing written permission" because it is not posted   and obtaining oral permission which is most likely required.     I would not recommend hunting it without permission, whether it be oral or written depending on the requirements.  Good Luck.

Rapscallion Vermilion

I grew up back there and if land wasn't posted, hunting was legal, without any explicit permission.  Strange, I know.  But most landowners like to know who is on there property.

Ihuntoldschool

Thanks for clearing that up, that is kind of strange.  I know here there is no requirement to post your land, written permission is required if posted, but oral permission is still required if not posted.   I would feel kind of weird hunting someone's property without permission from the owner even if legal, especially with houses around.  Maybe in Mass, the landowners are used to it or just expect it if the property is not posted ?

jepcho

That would seem really weird to me to just walk in and hunt someone's private property without permission, even if it's legal.  I would definitely be asking permission.  Seems like a silly law to me.

Rapscallion Vermilion

There are lots of hurdles in MA with all the gun laws and regs, but that is one thing I really miss.  It sure made it nice when looking for new grouse coverts.  I understand that these days some towns, mostly out eastern MA have local ordinances that specify that written permission is required.  You can get the list through Mass.gov .

Ihuntoldschool

How does it work when the landowner notices someone hunting his property without permission?  I can just imagine the landowner "Get off my property you don't have permission to be here"    Does the landowner have any rights in Mass?  Does he/she have authority to say who can remain on their property?  Do you get to stay and hunt till he gets some posted signs up?   How does this play out?